Chapter 7: A parting notice. (Part 4)

Lillia and Tai had their lunches packed and were taken away before their classes had even ended. The other children reacted as if it were normal and some even envied that they were allowed to leave early. Afterwards Kyle excused himself with Maila's permission and went to follow through with his request to Bethial. As he reached the door against the stone boundary of the Garden the key in his hand felt strangely heavy. It was a simple key that didn't look out of the ordinary but he knew only he could use it. Out of the Hero Candidates only Lillia had her own key. For the rest it was something they couldn't get their hands on until they neared the end. As much as the Garden was their home it was also their prison. The children themselves probably didn't think of it that way. They were happy for what they had. Taught by Maila and raised with warm care, all the children thought that becoming the Hero was an honour. It was Kyle who didn't like it, and for that reason the key felt heavy. The thought of convincing the children to run away briefly entered his mind but quickly vanished. He had something in his hands that they could only dream of and yet he already knew that none of them would abuse it. Though still candidates they were Hero's through and through.

The key turned with a light click and with it the door opened. On the other side Kyle made sure it was once more locked before heading down the corridor. It had been some time since he last entered the passage but nothing had changed and he soon found himself in the office. As he entered a pair of eyes looked towards him and immediately frowned.

"It's you!" Petty Officer 1st Class Melissa Hunter, she stood from her desk and angrily glared at Kyle. "Because of you and Valandus, I got in trouble. If the Captain was sterner I could have been demoted!"

"I sincerely apologise," Kyle bowed his entire body towards her. "It was a rash decision and I hope we didn't cause you too much trouble."

His sudden words surprised her. "W-well in the end I wasn't punished so it's fine." She cleared her throat. "Is there something you needed?"

Kyle still felt a bit awkward but shook it off, "I'm looking for the battle reports concerning the Eternal Hero."

"You'll find them ordered by date on the shelves against the wall," Melissa pointed them out amicably. "Please note that their written for all eyes in the Hero's Guard so they are missing 'details'."

Kyle thanked her and went to the wall selecting the most recent document. The date was for the battle in Tomph and as he began reading he immediately realised what Melissa had meant. The report was bland and provided the bare amount needed.

2/3/405: Demonic Incursion detected. State Trentheim. Location Village-Tomph. No known concerns.

17/3/405: Advanced Scouting Party arrived in Village-Tomph. No radicals detected. Clear for arrival.

18/3/405: Hero's Guard 2nd Unit arrived in Village-Tomph. Citizens were evacuated from firing zone. No issues with equipment. Eternal Hero arrived. No issues.

Battle Report for Village-Tomph: 18/3/405-19/3/405

What followed was descriptions of the Hero's Guard setting up their battle equipment and laying down the firing line. Most the report was filled with minor details and Kyle quickly skimmed down until the demons arrived.

2350: First wave of demons. Type C and D encountered. Close range Artillery and firing arms were utilised. Impact 100%

0000: Second wave of demons. Type A, C and D encountered. Artillery was removed due to Type A introduction. Knight Squadron entered combat along with ranged support. Impact 60%