Chapter 15: Before (Part 1)

Chapter 14: Before

"You alright there?" Mr Devro nudged Kyle's arm snapping him from his thoughts. They were moving together as a small convoy towards the incursion sight bringing along all the equipment they needed for the shoot. "You've been a bit absent minded since you returned. If I'd known you'd get like this I'd never have told you to head over." He laughed to show his good nature but soon softened his voice, "But in all seriousness Kyle, if you're not feeling right we can delay the shoot."

Kyle shook himself, "I'm fine. I've just got a lot to think about at the moment."

"Well don't think too hard. Your lady friend is taking it pretty rough," he gestured to where Lillia stood several metres back. The girl's eyes were unsettled flicking to Kyle and to the ground. "It's good to share your thoughts once in a while."

Kyle simply nodded and said nothing in reply. Since they had left Lady Marigold's establishment his mind had been reeling in thought. The Church of the Sleeping God had to be the same one from his dream and though they're name had changed, it meant that they knew at least something about the truth. With his position as a caretaker for the children, could he meet with the higher ups of the Chruch? The question to do so or not gripped his heart and as much as he'd want to let it out, just who would believe him? Maybe Lillia would but with her duty as the Hero she already had enough to deal with.

Mr Devro sighed, "If you can't talk about it at least smile about it. Do yourself and the lass a favour and cheer up. Our world is a mysterious place but it doesn't mean you have to know everything. Take it step by step and in particular today's step is to put on a good performance." The man once more grinned and took Kyle by the shoulders.

Under the man's intensity Kyle had to force a smile, "Thanks. I'll make sure to show the world exactly what they need to."

"That's better!" he took a booklet from his pocket. "Now I went over it with the writers and we've decided to go for a different angle. Basically we're going to use your sexual ambiguity a bit more fiercely today so we've got a new set of clothes."

"Wait what?" Kyle blanched at his words but didn't get the chance to clarify as they reached the border of the incursion grounds.

Several members of the Hero's Guard stood blocking the road but the problem wasn't on the incursion side but that of the city. Standing with savage pride was a slim man not much taller than Kyle. His clothes were finely made and matched his prudent appearance. Even under the pressure of the much larger man he spoke to he didn't flinch and continued to carry on a storm of words.

"I refuse and cannot let that pass one bit!"

"Please listen Lord Mayor," Captain Bethial who stood beside him breathed out showing his exasperation. "We're not doing this to cause trouble but to protect your city. The demons are dangerous and unpredictable. We need to extend the border."

"And as I said I cannot allow you too," the Lord Mayor huffed. "If you keep going as is there won't be much more city to protect." He gestured to the building beside him, "This mansion has stood here for close to 250 years it's a piece of heritage! By the Church's decree we've already given you all the land you should need to defend against the demons. Anymore is too much."

"That number is only an estimate," the Captain frowned. "If anything happens tomorrow night, if the demons break our lines, we need room to reengage them."

"Do you think me a plebeian?" the proud man scoffed. "I understand the arts of war very well. Even if they were to break your lines, your men still have several defensive options. Unlike the others of our world who you take from freely I have read all that is needed to know of the demonic threat."

A simmering anger entered the Captain's voice, "Then you know just how powerful a Primarch is and just how easy even an ordinary type demon could rip a man to shreds. You're risking the lives of your people for stone that can be rebuilt. Trust me when I say you can't bring back the dead."

The Lord Mayor didn't back down, "Settle your tone. A 1st Officer of the Hero's Guard you may be but here I have the greatest authority. I know very well about the 'tools' you use to find the demons and I've helped create many myself. What it seems you fail to understand is probability. Two Primarchs have appeared in the past two incursions, something in which has never happened. Why? Because it takes up enormous amounts of their energy to invade. They're low on supply, a third would be an impossibility. Unless of course your sensors are reading something else, are they Captain Bethial Vonteur?"

The Captain grit his teeth, "No they are not. The numbers may be low but we can't risk it."

"And I say we can," the Mayor shook him off. "Besides isn't that what the Eternal Hero is for?"

For a moment Kyle thought the Captain would snap as the Mayor loftily waved him away. Fortunately Bethial was a man of control and settled himself.

"Then let the witnesses here know it. If anything happens, you were the one who risked your people," the Captain straightened himself.

"An impossibility is no risk," not even looking back the Mayor left taking his entourage with him.

Several seconds passed and the building tension finally dissipated.

"Captain?" Lillia's voice came out questioningly from beside Kyle. They were close enough to hear everything and now beside the man himself.

The large man's eyes cleared as he looked to the gathered crowd, "You're here sooner than I expected. My apologies for forcing such a display to your eyes." A gentle hand patted Lillia's shoulder, "We'll be fine. We've worked with worse."

"Yes sir!" Lillia saluted. "I'll do my best."

"Good," he turned to the crowd, "Greetings once more Mr Devro. We've organised the location you asked for. Petty Officer Valandus will guide you." Several steps behind him the driver waved energetically.

"Thank you Sir Bethial," the director nodded properly before whispering, "Don't mind the Lord Mayor. A prude if I've ever seen one."

His words caused the Captain to smirk, "Indeed. I look forward to seeing your final work. I do hope you are taking good care of my men." The Captain's eyes lingered on Kyle.

"Especially good care. Now if you excuse me we have some filming to do." He raised his voice, "Come on you lot we're getting back into gear. I hope you got enough sleep because we aren't stopping till we get it right!" A cheer broke out and together with the crowd Kyle moved forward.