Chapter 21: A Regretful Finale. (Part 1)

When Kyle went to sleep he didn't expect to find himself in a pitch black room. His sense of self was similar to those of his dreams, faded, and although he could see himself everything else was black. For a moment he had to wonder if it was over. That the world from before was gone and now all that remained was the nothingness he saw. Or maybe even, it was a presentation of the times to come. Regardless he was beginning to think he should spend less time in his head as his thoughts were getting somewhat dark.

"Hi," the familiar voice caused him to turn around. Estile stood in a simple white dress, far removed from her usual armoured figure. Like she was now, all Kyle could see was a normal girl.

"Hi," Kyle replied back.

Estile slowly walked around him with observing eyes, "So this is what you look like." She laughed, "You're really a boy right?"

"Yes I am," he replied firmly.

"Well the world is a strange place," she smiled softly.

"So the first time we get to talk properly and you're making fun of me?" Kyle wasn't particularly amused. "Don't you have something more important to say?"

Her eyes became gentle, as if looking at a new born baby, innocent and pure, "I do." She sighed, "This is the last dream Kyle. After this there won't be anymore."

"What, why?"

"Because this is the end... or at least it was for me."

A panic filled his heart, "Wait, you're going to die? Why are you telling me this?"

"So it won't be so shocking," again she smiled. "Also I don't want you trying to chase after me because I really die at the end. I know I'm hard to kill but even I have my limits."

"But...."

"No buts," she pressed her hands lightly against his lips. "Watch it till the end. There's a lot you still won't understand but hopefully it'll be enough that you'll be okay."

Kyle brushed away her hand and instead tried to hold it, only to pass straight through, "Wait I-." It was too late as the pitch black room suddenly flared with colour and his consciousness faded.

*

The Evergarden Lodge was where the Mercenaries called home and the source of their name. Beside an unassuming small town close by a range of mountains and a flowing river, it was a picturesque place to live. Very few people outside of the Mercenaries family knew their location and as such life there was peaceful despite their world renowned status. Now however that peace was on the border of melancholy.

"Do you really have to go?" Callus faced the Mercenaries he called parents. Older now, the young man's features had become more defined than when he left. Dressed in simple clothing he stood beside the others like him, children who had once lived in the Evergarden.

Karen answered him, "Of course we do." She sat seemingly relaxed on the wide living room couch. Her red hair fell loosely against the soft fabric and joining hers was the multitude of colours from the other Mercenaries. "We should be there now, but we wanted to see you all." She smiled. "Oh how you've all grown up."

Callus as well as those around him reddened. Behind them were the current children of the Evergarden who smiled at their older brothers and sisters.