Chapter 12: Awakening (Part 3)

The two of them looked up at the ladder leading to the next floor. They knew that Tibul was up there and with at least a few others. Quietly Kyle gestured for Marisha to let him go first and make sure it was safe. The top of the ladder led to a small room with bare furnishing and nothing special about it aside from the passage downwards. A simple door remained closed and as Kyle peeked through to the other side he spotted a corridor that turned away. Confident that it was clear he returned to help Marisha up, pulling back the ladder and sealing the floor once more.

"Okay listen to me carefully," he leaned close to the girl with a seriousness he rarely used. "Whatever happens from here I need you to stay calm. We might get in a fight, someone might even die. I need you to stay clear of anything that happens."

Marisha nodded, "You really have changed."

Kyle let out a self-deprecating laugh, "Not as much as you think. I'm really pushing myself here." The thought of having to take someone else's life almost caused him to freeze up but thinking about Marisha who he had promised to protect and the children who waited for him, he couldn't stop now.

Slowly Kyle led Marisha down the corridor with the girl hanging a few steps behind. As they came to the corner the sound of turning pages caused them to stop. Just around the bend a single door was open letting out a steady golden light. The shadow of a figure spilled onto the floor as it stood preoccupied by whatever it read. Past the door the corridor led to a larger open room, one that would hopefully be their way out. The problem was getting past. Kyle moved forward alone taking a hesitant glance into the room. A single man wearing a rough set of clothes stood above a desk turning the pages of a book. From his waist a decently long sword hung waiting to be drawn. Just from appearance alone Kyle could tell he wasn't someone you'd ever want to meet.

Kyle held a knife in each hand and breathed deeply. There was the chance they could sneak past but there was no telling who was in the next room. Right now however he felt he had a chance to handle the situation.

"Marisha keep an eye out," he readied himself as the girl nodded.

After another calming breath Kyle acted as fast as he could. The everyday training Maila had put him through had strengthened his body and coordination far better than before. Whether it would be enough, he could only hope. By the time the man reacted Kyle was already in front of him. The man gasped too late as a knife swung towards his head. On instinct the man leaned back covering his face. That moment was all Kyle needed. The first move had been a feint. Surprised and eyes covered the man couldn't prepare himself and soon howled in pain as a second knife plunged into his leg. The shock was enough to cause him to crumble and Kyle wasn't going to let it end there. Hand against his head, Kyle thrust the already falling man into the stone floor releasing a solid thud and crack. The man didn't get up.

Marisha watched the act of violence stunned, her already paling skin shivered. Despite the shock she remained true to her role and hearing a sound signalled to Kyle from outside the room. Someone was coming. Quick as he could Kyle pulled the man's sword off and the set of keys he had with it. The sound of footsteps became heavier, clearly heading towards the small room. Kyle grit his teeth and stood waiting, hidden by the open door, the room's key ready in his hands.

"Hey Turner you okay in there? Don't tell me you stubbed your toe again-," the women stepped into the room. She was wearing matching clothes to the man now collapsed to the ground. "What the-." At that moment Kyle grabbed her and with all the might he could muster, magic and all, he threw her into the room. The women proved her skill and landed on her feet despite the surprise but before she could jump to return the favour the door slammed shut with Kyle gone. A click and the lock fell in place. A thud erupted against the metal framed door.