Chapter 25: Perspective (Part2)

"Where do we go from here?" it was Ellen who asked the question. She stood in a brightly lit room, a single table in front of her and around it her companions, Arvel, Mori, Trent and Lav. Amongst them were three others, one the high priest of the Sleeping God Laxus and the other two a half elf and half ogre that Kyle did not know.

"Where do we go?" the half elf spoke bitterly replying to Ellen's question. "Nowhere. This is the only safe haven we found. The only place where the demons won't attack us."

Trent looked at the man, "Jaila there's no need for that tone."

"I-I'm sorry," Jaila bowed his head. "I'm just stressed. If you hadn't saved us, my entire village would have been destroyed."

"Stay strong," he patted the man on the shoulder, "the people look up to you for guidance."

The half ogre women shook her head, "Some yes, many not so. To them we halves should be feared, exiled. Who knows when we may turn ourselves?"

"Don't say that Kali," Arvel spoke. "We can't lose ourselves over this. There aren't many of you left. If anything you need to be protected."

Kali smiled wryly, "Perhaps."

Ellen folded her arms, "When I asked where do we go, I didn't mean it literally. The number of demons we've started to encounter outside has increased exponentially, the fog has become thicker as well. I don't think it was a coincidence, we all felt it, Estile isn't coming back."

A sudden crack resounded across the room as Lav slammed the table, her purple hair flared, "Don't say that! Estile- Estile she always pulled off miracles, she'll come back." Though her words said one thing, her emotions said another. The hope she clung to was already all but gone.

"Lav," Mori moved to calm her. "Maybe you're right but we have to keep moving regardless." She took a deep breath, "Ellen is right, something needs to be done."

Trent nodded and looked to the high priest. The holy robes he once wore had been discarded for a simple brown cloth. "Laxus how many people do we have at the moment?"

The man replied tiredly, "Just over 2500. Only 30 of which are halves, most of them being your children."

"2500...," Lav gripped her fists tightly. The number was a tiny amount compared to the amount they swore to protect.

"Lav I know it's not as many as we hoped," Mori began beside her, "but it's all we could afford to save."

"I know," she wiped her eyes, "but compared to before I wonder if we'll ever make it back."

"We will," Trent proclaimed. "No matter what we'll make sure of it. Did anyone receive word from King Ardent?"

Silence was the response. The kind King had immediately set off with what remained of his army to save his country, however since the day of his departure, no one had heard from him.

Laxus scratched his greying head, "Although I understand all our hearts are in the right place, reality may not be so kind. This land we are in is special in nature. No demon nor fog can seep inside, however that is just this land. To put it simply, we do not have the space or resources to keep our numbers. If King Ardent did we return.... Even now we may have to-."

"Don't you dare finish that sentence," Ellen growled. "It's that exact way of thinking that lead to the war."

He faced her the same, "And if we had won, none of this would have happened." The light in the room flared as a powerful wisp of mana whipped around the room.