Chapter 19: Rejection (Part 1)

Chapter 18: Rejection

Kyle opened his eyes immediately. Despite being in the underground medical centre he knew it was morning. A ripple of emotions coursed through his chest as he thought on the dream he just had. The Mercenaries of the Ever-Garden and Gods. Their fight played our right before his eyes and watching everything, he saw their strength and couldn't help feel so small in comparison. Amongst all the questions that swirled inside his mind two sat out amongst the rest. Was Estile okay and more forebodingly, why did he have the dream now?

A soft murmur broke him back into reality and as he looked down he spotted Lillia curled beneath the blankets, her head tucked against his chest. For a moment Kyle's young mind went blank. The memories frantically aligned themselves trying to make sense of the situation and finally with a calm breath he remembered. Other than talking nothing else had happened and before they realised it, both of them were asleep.

Gently Kyle brushed back her purple hair and smiled. He had to wonder what kind of dreams Lillia had. Most her life had been isolated within the Garden and now a young adult she was a soldier in the war against the demons. Even with her identity as the current Hero, what else did she have? She'd never explored the other cities, walked in the countryside alone or gone on an adventure with no point or destination. Then again Kyle had barely either.

With a careful ease Kyle slipped out from the bed causing the sleeping girl to whimper as his warmth vanished. He looked into the mirror against the wall and tilted his head not sure what to think. Dressed in a plain hospital gown his figure wasn't hard to see as a simple swish would expose his skin. The feminine figure matched his face, a far desire to what he wanted to grow up to be. Yet now with his hair white and only a sliver of flax left he could almost see the ghost of someone far greater than he was.

Unable to look any longer Kyle got changed into his uniform and exited the room. The thought of waking Lillia did pass through his mind but there was something he wanted to clarify first. Not even several metres out from the door Bethial spotted him.

"Kyle shouldn't you be resting?" the large man eyed him with a mixture of concern and pressure.

"I'm fine now. If I stay there any longer I'm going to get to antsy," Kyle smiled back amicably.

The Captain raised his brow, "Really? I thought with Lillia and yourself together there would be plenty you could do."

His sudden words caused Kyle to redden deeply, "N-nothing happened, we just talked!"

An unusual laugh broke the man's lips, "Of course. I'll not pry but perhaps you shouldn't leave her behind. Out of all of us she was the most worried. She thought you had given up your life for hers."

"I'll... keep that in mind," he nodded before turning his expression more seriously. "Captain I have a question."

"Go ahead."

"Have you received word about the next incursion?"

Bethial paused, his expression unable to be read clearly, "What makes you ask?"

"Nothing really," Kyle replied a little flustered. "I just want to know."

Judging him innocent the Captain responded, "The answer is no. Our sensors indicate that nothing is out of the ordinary, at least for now."

"Good," the young man's relief was clear. The dreams always came with demons and if they had as usual, Kyle didn't know what he could do. His body couldn't help but shake remembering the trauma of the battle.