264. The Game

Days pass normally after the Wizard Saint tournament ended. Well, there were some problems in the guild, but Ben took care of them already. Most of the problems are about jobs and clashes with other guilds, just small problems.

Later that year, Fiore holds another tournament for their Legal Guilds. It is the Grand Magic Games which was made with the purpose to find the best Guild in Fiore. They hold it on the day of the Dragon King Festival.

(A.n: In the early chapter I've mentioned that Grand Magic Games have been held before, but it was a mistake on my part. This even is made in the 7 years time skip if my info is correct. Well, doesn't matter, let's just think this is the case, lol.)

Almost every guild in Fiore is excited by this event that determines the strongest guild in Fiore. Fairy Tail members are also excited by this, especially because of the reward. But Ben is not that interested in this competition.

For Ben, the best guild is the one that can do its jobs properly and ensure its members' safety. Fairy Tail is currently the guild with the highest job completion rate and number. They finished more jobs than any other guild in Fiore, so they are the number one guild now.

It's still not on the level of when Makarov was the Guild Master though. The problem is they don't have many S-Class Mages and other high-level Mages now. Ben & Mira are their only S-Classes and the only ones who can handle other difficult jobs are Ben's students & senior members who need to go together to finish those jobs.

Even so, they still finish more jobs than other guilds. Their development is also better than the previous generation. The remaining Fairy Tail Mages are improving at a faster rate than in Makarov's era so it's a big achievement in itself.

Ben might not interested in Grand Magic Games, but he can't ignore his guild members. So he decides that Fairy Tail will participate in this competition. However, they will only send their young members, and the weaker ones at that.

Only 5 guild members can join this competition as a group. So Ben chooses the weakest ones among the young members who are qualified to take jobs. The ones who'll join are Laki, Vijeeter, Max, and 2 of Ben's students, Gea & Hans.

It's not without reason why Ben sends young & weaker members. This competition is a chance for them to gain experience by competing against other Mages. He isn't interested in victory, their Mages' development is more important to him.

For Ben, this competition is just a game, just like what its name implies. In the end, people will believe more in a guild that can finish more jobs than other guilds. Still, he knows that this Game will have an effect after it ends.

Many Guilds join this competition, be they small, medium, or big guilds. There are hundreds of Mages that will compete in this tournament. The euphoria is almost the same as the Wizard Saint tournament.

Most people think that this will be another fighting tournament, but it's not. The Kingdom made the guilds compete in some types of competition. They are just like Games, truly living up to the competition's name.

For preliminaries, they just measure the participants' magic power using a device. Every participant will measure their magic attack. The top 64 teams with the highest total magic attack will proceed to the next round.

Fairy Tail passes the preliminary and goes to the next round. The 1st round is a Detective Game. They are given a problem to solve and they can find clues to solve the problem all over the city. There is no time limit but 16 teams that finish first will pass.

In this round, Fairy Tail almost fail, but they still take 15th position. Laki & Gea contribute a lot in this round because they are the only ones who can use their brain properly. Well, at least they can pass, so it's not bad.

The next round is a team tag match. It's just like a game of tag with the arena being the west part of Royal Capital. They don't use an elimination system but a point system.

Each person is given 3 red ribbons which represent their points and they need to steal each other's ribbons. The 8 teams with the most ribbons will continue to the next round. Fairy Tail is number 3 in this match because they are quite good with their hands.

Well, they are also quite cunning as they use the others' battles to steal their ribbons. Ben is the one who teaches them this strategy using their magic as the biggest factor. He isn't interested in victory but he wants to reach the semi-final at the very least.

The next round is a team match. All members of each team will fight against other teams in the arena. This is a league system, not a knock-out system so they will fight against all teams in the top 8.

Each team will fight twice per day so this round will last for 4 days. Ben doesn't need to give any instruction because their team members are capable enough. The previous rounds have increased their teamwork so there will be no problem.

They can switch any team member that gets injured in this round. But Fairy Tail doesn't switch anyone because no one gets seriously injured. Some light injuries are normal in their line of job so they can't switch members just because of light injuries.

But because they don't switch any members, they can't take the 1st position. They still get the 3rd position though, so they pass to the semi-final. It's a good result considering the ones who participate are not the best members.

Fairy Tail is ready to lose in the next round because they don't plan on switching any team member at all. However, the next round is surprisingly the final round even though there are still 4 teams competing.

The final round's match is also quite surprising because it's not a fighting match like everyone thought. The final will be a racing tournament with the circuit being the Royal Capital and its surrounding mountain area.

Each team is allowed to have 3 land magic vehicles. They can also use 1 if they are confident to win with just 1. Of course, attacking other teams using magic is allowed as long as they don't kill anyone.

They are given 3 days to prepare their magic vehicles and strategy. It doesn't matter what they'll do. They can buy, rent, build, or modify their magic vehicles. The only requirement is that their magic vehicles aren't illegal based on Magic Council's regulations.

Ben didn't really want to win at first, but it's different now. If there is something that he doesn't want to lose from others in this world is his passion for car racing. He has been defeated in a Magic Vehicle race in the past, so now he wants to win.

He has built some cars since he becomes Guild Master with the help of some Magic Enginers. Those are Magic Vehicles that they made for the guild members' transportation and for selling. Magic Vehicles with advanced engines are expensive, so they can earn good profits.

Also, Ben still holds the patent for the new-generation engines. Currently, the only ones that can sell Magic Vehicles using Ben's engines are those who have bought the right and him. So it's safe to assume that other guilds don't have the new generation engines like Fairy Tail.

Well, they can buy or rent the new generation magic vehicles. But Ben can always modify their magic vehicles to be faster. He works together with Fairy Tail's Magic Enginers to modify 3 of their magic cars into race cars.

The modified cars are very fast, not as fast as Ben's Light Runner, but they are still very fast. Lamia Scale which also competes in the final round actually has 2 new-generation cars. Those are gifts that Ben gave to them.

"Sly bastards. They are using my gift to go against me," says Ben pissedly.

"There's no rule that says we can't use them," says Jura who approaches Ben from behind.

Ben clicks his tongue but doesn't say anything else because Jura is right. They just stand next to each other as they watch the race starts.
______________________________________________________________
You can read up to 35+35 chapters ahead of my fanfics on my Pa_treon page if you are interested.

Voting for this book is highly appreciate.

I've uploaded:
1. Chapter 299 of Fairy Tail: Sun Eater
2. Chapter 310 of Transcended as Lord Buggy

https://www.pa_treon.com/CaptMermain
(the web didn't use _underscore_, it's to avoid censorship)