Chapter 4

"Cut them off!"

On the Baili Mountain road nearing the outsides of the Imperial City, several horses surrounded a speeding carriage. The fork in the road was only a few hundred meters from them.

"Liangliang!"

Qi Xuan who was steering the carriage could not be concerned with his own fear. But Qi Yue grasped tightly onto Shen Liang's clothes.

"Don't mind them. Hurry."

Slap!

The whip continued to swing and slapped fiercely against the horses, painfully prompting the horses' hooves to fly and splatter across the muddy puddles.

"Motherf*cker! Kill the coachman!"

Seeing that the carriage was rapidly approaching the city gates, the bandits grew furious. The bandits driving alongside the carriage raised their cold blades and slashed at Qi Xuan.

"Qi Xuan! Oh...."

"Liangliang!"

Shen Liang's pupils shrank and without a second thought, pulled Qi Xuan over. With his actions, a long bloody opening was slashed across his arm, opening a long trail of blood. It splattered instantly over them. Qi Yue and Qi Xuan were both horrendously frightened, but Shen Liang only lightly scowled. He didn't even glance at his injury, "Don't be distracted. Tighten the reins."

Compared to having his limbs severed and eyes gouged, such an injury didn't amount to much. 

"En."

Qi Xuan fought back the tears and nodded. She once again tightened the reins. Qi Yue fought against the angst to tear off a slip of cloth as to wrap and bandage Shen Liang's injury.

"Kill them! Hurry!"

"Jia. Jia..."

Seeing the situation was growing tense, the bandits decided to settle for slaughter. However, the sound of galloping horses sounded. Within a moment's notice, dozens of horses surged for them from less than a hundred meters out. The soldiers all donned a unified black armor and just a single glance would ascertain such a group to be part of a well-trained military.

"Iron Guards?"

"This is bad! Withdraw!"

Shen Liang and the bandits exclaimed simultaneously. The difference was while the bandits cried out in shock and panic, Shen Liang only watched the approaching ironclad guards and his voice so quiet that only the two maids by his side heard him.

"Charge!"

The ironclad guards were well-trained and with just one glance, they recognized the bandits to be of pursuable threat. They surged forward with murderous intent without the need to ask for justification. The Ironclad Guards were the Qin Dynasty's most elite and mysterious force. They do not act often, but the moment they do, rivers of blood would flow. Corpses would pile into mountains. All that remained from the battlefield would be the remnants of armor and blood splattered in the blades of the grass on the plains. The bandits were not their opponents and wouldn't stand a chance.

"Liangliang!"

The carriage had already pulled to a stop. The Ironclad Guards were fierce and merciless. Qi Yue and Qi Xuan, who had never seen the battlefield nervously grasped onto the corners of Shen Liang's sleeves. 

"We're alright."

In contrast, Shen Liang was more indifferent. No, it would be more accurate to say his indifference was almost humiliating to the Ironclad Guards. In the midst of the bloodbath, not the slightest fluctuation emerged in his eyes. It was as though he was used to seeing so much blood splatter.