Chapter 26

"Sigh... I don't expect a cure for myself, but Yunxi, I worry about him," Fu Ying sighed heavily before his eyes peered over Shen Liang with a light glow, "Your earlier exchange, I've overheard some parts of it. Young master Shen, can you really help my son get justice?"

His body was exhausted, and Fu Ying didn't fear death. If he could see his son's grievances washed away, then at least he wouldn't feel like he had died blind, oblivious, ignorant, and wronged!

"I serve no purpose to come here and make poor jokes. Uncle, I can also cure your illness. As long as you cooperate, I can guarantee you a full recovery in three months' time."

Fu Ying had a pair of eyes that could not conceal his love for his son. These were eyes Shen Liang never had the fortune of being gazed upon with. But Shen Liang was moved by them. If his dad was still alive, he definitely wouldn't let those from the Shen Family treat him like this. 

"I'm not important. As long as Yunxi..."

"Dad..."

Fu Yunxi couldn't bring himself to listen on any further and interrupted the other party's words. He then said to Shen Liang, "As long as you can cure my dad, even if you're unable to wash away my grievances, Fu Yunxi's life is still yours to use as you please."

"Alright," Shen Liang didn't want to bother with unnecessary remarks either: "You should have ink and paper here?"

"Are you not going to take his pulse first?" Fu Yunxi knew that Shen Liang intended to write a prescription but was puzzled. Which physician wrote a prescription without taking a pulse first? Wasn't this too unreliable?

Shen Liang gave him a confident smile, "There's no need. Your dad's symptoms are evident. The prescription I'll give you today will intend to clear out the blockage. I will return in a few days for a more in=depth diagnosis. His lung disease should be cleared and cured within three months at the latest."

"Alright," the other physicians couldn't even provide a prescription. Fu Yunxi was desperate for any prospects and ideas and retreated for ink and pen. Fu Ying took advantage of the time he was gone to say to Shen Liang in a hushed tone, "Young master Shen, I'm really alright. Yunxi is an honest and sincere child. He couldn't have cheated on the exams. I sincerely hope you'd be able to help serve him justice. In the future, when I'm no longer here, I'd have to bother you to look after him. Don't let him spend the rest of his life alone."

From the perspective of most people, a lung condition was no different than a death sentence. Fu Ying didn't believe Shen Liang was capable of curing him. But as a parent, he wanted to leave some last wishes. 

"Uncle's condition is caused by overstimulation and aggravation. The rapid and sudden provocation attacks the heart. If left untreated, the condition will only worsen but as long as you cooperate, then a full recovery is not anything difficult. If you're worried about Fu Yunxi, worried that he'll live the rest of his life out alone, then it's best to live well and accompany him personally."

Shen Liang was not the least bit angry in Fu Ying's lack of trust in his capabilities. After all, his age and appearance were already demerited factors to consider. It was hard for anyone to trust him. AH well. Shen Liang could only allow time and results to prove his case.  

"But..."

"Dad, don't say anymore. Can you please just listen to me this time?" Fu Yunxi who had returned could infer the topic of their discussion even without hearing it personally. He placed the ink and paper on the table before grasping onto Fu Ying's hand with one hand while his other hand smoothed out a few stray strands in Fu Ying's hair. The rims of his eyes reddened as he said, "Dad, this child is unfilial. If it weren't for me, your illness would not have worsened to this degree. If because of me, you... I'd never rest easily this entire life."

"Yunxi..."

Fu Ying understood his son's meaning and the corners of his eyes also reddened.

Qi Yue grounded and mixed the ink and Shen Liang unfolded the rice parchment to write the prescription while the father-son pair communicated. "Xuan Ge, pay a visit to the apothecary. Grab seven days' worth, enough for three times a day."

"Yes," Qi Xuan took over the prescription and turned around to head out. 

"Dad, head back in first to rest. It'll be fine with me here to address and host our guests," seeing that his dad was starting to cough again, Fu Yunxi sent him back into the cabin before returning to Shen Liang again.

"What do you need me to do?"

"As of now, nothing. When uncle recovers, we can discuss this slowly and more in detail. However, there's one thing you need to keep in mind. During this period, if any of the fourth prince's personnel reaches out to you, do not agree to anything but also don't be in any hurry to reject the other party as well. Led them on."

"Why?" how and why was the fourth imperial prince also involved?

No matter how smart and intelligent Fu Yunxi was, he couldn't comprehend Shen Liang's thoughts.

"There is no why. Just follow my orders. Rest assured; what I promised you will be done. When the time comes, I hope you can also keep your vow. Otherwise..."

I can help you rise, but I can also make you fall.

Although Shen Liang never finished his words, the ruthlessness that flashed under his eyes was sufficient to convey his message. Fu Yunxi was an intelligent man and naturally understood. "A gentleman's words and promise is his bond. What is said will not be retracted and young master Shen can count on it. As long as you can cure my dad, no matter what you ask of me in the future, you shall see it done without the bat of an eye. Even if your request entails of arduous journey of rivers and mountains."

The latter half of his statement was said easily but carried weight. For Shen Liang, a young master and heir of the Marquis Manor to come find him, it was impossible to say the boy didn't harbor ambitions of his own. Who would believe it if said otherwise? Fu Yunxi was only attempting to pry the extent of Shen Liang's ambition. 

"Ha! I have no interest in this kingdom. What I want is simple and easily achieved, but if the kingdom proves itself to be an obstacle before my goal, I have no qualms in subverting it. Fu Yunxi, do not test me. As long as you follow and remain loyal to me, then I take responsibility over your life. Even if you intend on seizing the throne, I will not allow your name and honor to be marred."

Shen Liang's expression had changed at some point in time. It had become inscrutable, and his gaze seemed capable of capturing the vastness of the entire world within them.

Fu Yunxi was momentarily stunned when meeting this boy's gaze. The blood within him boiled and an inexplicable feeling enveloped him, as though telling him, follow him. You will not regret it.