Chapter 43

The matter with Shen Liang's carriage being stopped caused an uproar, and what ensued only became more dramatic. Marquis Dongling Manor and the Liu Family's Dutong Manor were both put on the cusp. The censures that were sent to the emperor all mentioned Shen Ruiting's name to some degree. The public had already painted Liu Shuhan as a poisonous woman who had no qualms about doing anything excessive to achieve her means. Criticisms circulated the Imperial City. Quite contrarily, Shen Liang, who was the cause of the turmoil, became the object of pity and sympathy for the public as he and his elder brother's reputation only became better and better amongst the civilians.

Two days later, the Elder Princess's banquet was held. Shen Liang was dug out from beneath his covers, bright and early by Fu Ying and Qi Yue. The two of them paid no heed to his tired expression and helped him dress and wash up. They then helped him into a new bright red brocade robe, and half an hour later, Shen Liang was ready. He was dressed in red with a golden crown on his head. A jade belt with intricate patterns was tied to his waist and the pair of sheepskin boots were also taken out to be worn. Coupled with his domineering demeanor that suited a noble from the palace, Shen Liang's beauty was blatant and hard to look pass.

"So, so handsome!" Qi Xuan, who had just come home, exclaimed when he was greeted by the sight of Shen Liang. His mouth opened exaggeratedly as his eyes stared straight ahead. He fell into a daze, as though he had just come to know Shen Liang. 

An unscrupulous whistle also rang through as Yaoguang jumped down and before Shen Liang whilst holding a fat, white meat bun in his hands. He strolled around Shen Liang sever circles before exclaiming in admiration, "Too beautiful. Excuse my bluntness but Liangliang, the only person who could possibly be worthy to stand beside you would be our family's lord."

Yaoguang's loyalty toward Pei Yuanxian really knew no bounds for the boy to still remember to hint at a marriage even at this time. 

"There are many beauties capable of standing beside your family's lord. I'll just thank you for the suggestion but no thanks." 

Shen Liang shook his head as he spared Yaoguang a glance. He then passed by the boy and sat down at the table, "There are more than one renowned beauty in this manor. The lord doesn't even have to search too far off."

"...."

They could also be considered beauties? What kind of beauty? Femme fatale?

Yaoguang rolled his eyes speechlessly. Those kinds of creatures weren't even worthy enough to carry their lord's shoes!

"Is Liangliang talking about the seventh, eighth, and ninth young ladies?" Fu Ying and Qi Yue exchanged a look before also heading over to sit down beside Shen Liang. Zhonglin Courtyard wasn't stringent on formalities and rules. Rather than saying they held a master-servants relationship, it would be more accurate to say they were family. As long as there weren't any outsiders present, regardless of whether it was in terms of sleeping or dining, they acted without need for much care in status differences.

"Hehe..."

Shen Liang didn't respond. Instead, he only laughed lightly before picking up his rice bowl and starting to eat.

"I haven't met any of the three young ladies in this manor yet. But the evaluations the Imperial City holds of them state that they are all beautiful, kind-hearted, and talented, as though carved from the same mold. Men with real visions would only find them dull." Fu Ying, who had only arrived for three days had already garnered a general understanding of the Manor's relationships and affairs. He just hadn't had much of the opportunity to meet with many members of the manor and wasn't in any position to judge.

"Uncle Fu, you speak too politely. What do you mean by dull? Put bluntly, they just like to act and keep up pretenses. Kind-hearted beauties? Who are they lying? Which courtyard ever had a kind-hearted beauty come out of it?"