Chapter 117

"Have you heard? When General Ling and the others return this time, the emperor plans on hosting a banquet in the palace to commend their military feats and achievements. When the time comes, all of the official ranked four and up are required to bring their children to participate. You've only just returned to the Imperial City so you might not know yet, but normally, under these circumstances, it's simply a large-scale blind dating setting. Yesterday, I heard my elder brother and father say that the emperor seems to have intentions of choosing prince consorts and concubines for the princes." 

Xiang Zhuo dragged the stool over towards Shen Liang and leaned over. He said immodestly, "If that is the case, with my status and identity, I'm afraid that I would be considered a prime candidate."

As the second son of the Marquis of Lin'an, Xiang Zhuo had the qualifications to be a prince consort, let alone a concubine. Yesterday, when he had eavesdropped on his brother and father's conversation, he found himself unable to sleep the entire night that day. He couldn't keep his mind off the matter and in the end, finally ran over to Shen Liang's. He didn't know why but Xiang Zhuo always felt as though he could say anything to Shen Liang. Shen Liang would never betray him, much less take these words of his out to spread rumors with.

"That is very likely. Marquis Lin'an is considered a civil servant. Under normal circumstances, the legitimate sons and daughters of your family will be allocated for pick for the Imperial Princes. Now that the eldest prince, second prince, and the third prince were all wedded, that still left the rest of the Imperial Princes. If any of them were moved, then I'm afraid you wouldn't be able to escape that marriage." 

Shen Liang agreed with Xiang Zhuo, but his agreement was exchanged for Xiang Zhuo's resentment filled eyes instead. "It's exactly because I can't escape this that I'm frustrated. Liangliang, you know that my heart favors Young Master Jing. But the last time when I mentioned that I want to marry him, not only did my elder brother and father not agree, but they also ordered that I must never mention this matter ever again. Don't even think about it. They won't even give me the opportunity to fight for this relationship."

He just didn't understand. Just what is it about Young Master Jing that won't do? Be it whether in terms of appearance or in intellect, what did he not excel in? Which aspect could he not compare to those Imperial Princes who only know how to fight for the throne every day?

"You truly told the marquis and them?" Shen Liang wasn't without shock. He then sighed helplessly, "No matter what, you are a child born from an affluent marquis family. How is it possible that you don't know why it's impossible between you and the Young Master Jing? Fortunately, your father and brother are understanding and smart people. Xiang Zhuo, even if you refuse to marry anyone but Jing Xiran, Jing Xiran isn't without options and can't marry anyone but you. I suggest you give up."

Although Marquis Huaiyang didn't hold any military power in his hands, they still held a certain amount of prestige among the soldiers. Although the Marquis Lin'an was only a civil servant, their younger generation now showed promising potentials, especially Xiang Qing, who was regarded as a son of heaven who would very likely be able to serve in court soon as long as he did not commit any foolish mistakes. How was it possible that the emperor would allow two such families to join forces? In his previous life, the emperor conferred Xiang Zhuo marriage to the second prince as the second prince's second prince consort just so he could balance the power between the Imperial Princes. He guarded even against his own sons. How was it possible he would let two powerful families be just like that and not guard against them too?

"How could you say that too?" Xiang Zhuo's face immediately fell. He seemed close to tears. When his father and elder brother tried to persuade him, they used the same words. He understood their reasonings, but if he liked someone, he just liked them. If he didn't like someone, there was no way he couldn't dislike them. If that could be so, then Xiang Zhuo wouldn't be in so much turmoil.