Chapter 68

"So it's like that. The Wei ancestors truly are impressive figures," after taking in the whole story, Shen Liang couldn't help but praise sincerely.

"Indeed, but no matter how impressive a predecessor they are, that is in the past tense context. Neither this lord nor you will lose to them."

Pei Yuanxian turned around to look at him as he changed the subject: "Liangliang, as of now, the Imperial Family would be stirred and frightened by the existence of the nether Guards. It'll be for the better to not expose them completely. Let them continue to hide themselves for now. Perhaps, it may come to be of great use in the future."

Shen Liang's safety would have more of a guarantee. The moment the Imperial Family were to derive that the Nether Guards were in Shen Liang's hands, they would either force him into marriage with an Imperial Family member or use their efforts to completely eradicate Shen Liang. Regardless of which, neither was an end Pei Yuanxian wanted to see.

"En, I understand. I only told you because you're different." Shen Liang was no longer the fool he was in his previous life. He would not waste the good cards he had in his hands.

"This lord likes to hear such words. In the future, say more of these kinds of statements. If you coax this lord well, then this lord will let himself be ordered by you!" As reality proved that men indeed liked to hear sweet words. 

Shen Liang was amused and laughed: "I wouldn't dare to order you, the good duke, around. But there is a matter I do need your help with."

"What is it?" Pei Yuanxian turned to look at him with a wide grin plastered on his face. The more he looked at his family's Liangliang, the more beautiful he felt Liangliang was. There simply wasn't another being in this world who could compare!

"It's regarding the Wangyue City's dam..." With a solemn expression, Shen Liang suddenly leaned over and murmured his knowing to Pei Yuanxian. The smile on Pei Yuanxian's face immediately dissipated as his face gradually darkened.

"Are you certain?" 

Meeting Pei Yuanxian's deep gaze, Shen Liang nodded heavily, "En. In this matter, it is not convenient to let the Nether Guards carry out. General Ling would be a more appropriate candidate. But he may not necessarily believe my words. My lord, I can only bother you to dispatch your Ironclad Guards."

"Just leave he matter in my hands. It can't be that you have other arrangements as well?" One can't fault Pei Yuanxian for being suspicious. He always felt Shen Liang had something unfinished to say.

Knowing that it was impossible to hide it from Pei Yuanxian, Shen Liang smiled mischievously: "I indeed do have other plans. My target is Wen Yuan, the Minister of the Ministry of Rites."

"You want the case of the civil exams cheating overturned and the man in the palace held responsible?" the moment he heard the name Wen Yuan, Pei Yuanxian immediately understood Shen Liang's intentions. Wen Yuan was one of the chief examiners last autumn but the officials held responsible were some new examiners in charge of the six classics and some irrelevant people. For Liangliang to involve Wen Yuan at this time, it was evident that he was intending to overturn Fu Yunxi's case for him. 

"No, I just don't like my people to bear crimes in their name that they were not responsible for." Fu Yunxi was his person now. He naturally had to scheme for him. Of course, there were other reasons as well, but those were only incidental and byproducts.

"What do you mean by your people? You speak as though you have something with him. Do not provoke this lord," Pei Yuanxian slid Shen Liang an annoyed glance. He then released Shen Liang's hands and stood up, "Rest assured. This lord will fully cooperate with you. Since you intend to keep You'er, then I won't object to it either. Let Tianquan, Tianxuan, and Yuheng  stay here for tonight. When your people are in place, we can have them retreat then. We cannot afford to take any risksin this matter. Don't make this lord worried."