Chapter 8

The arrival of the officials from the Court once again placed the Marquis Manor on the cusp of gossip. Despite Liu Shuhan's exquisite act and Shen Qiang's clever and timely saves, they still could not withstand the mouths of the public. The rumors spread that the madame of the Marquis Manor was unable to tolerate the son of the original madame. She had colluded with bandits to harm the heir. Such rumors spread before the officials from the Court could even clean and take the corpses away. The mother-daughter pair gritted their teeth in anger but under the scrutiny of the public, they could only struggle to maintain their smile and the temperament appropriate for an aristocratic family.

As for Shen Liang who had fanned the flames, he had already withdrawn and stood before the most remote and ruined courtyard in the Marquis Manor. Shen Liang held an indifferent demeanor, but Qi Yue and Qi Xuan were incensed by such a sight. Who was it who said the courtyard had been tidied and cleaned as to allow Liangliang to rest easily? This was considered clean?

"We have arrived. This servant with withdraw."

Not the slightest respect could be sensed from the maid who led the way. Without waiting for Shen Liang's approval, she proceeded to dismiss herself and left brusquely, leaving the three, master and servants there alone. Such an image was in an ironic harmony with the conditions of the courtyard itself.

"This is too much!"

Qi Xuan's temper had always been easy to provoke. As she looked around the forlorn and dilapidated courtyard, her eyes reddened from anger. 

"Xiao Xuan."

Qi Yue, who was older than Qi Xuan by two years gave her a disapproving look. After raising her head to glance around and ascertaining that there were no outsiders, she whispered, "Liangliang, Grandma Wei and those with her clearly acted according to the madame's orders. How could you just let her go so easily?" 

Although they were young and inexperienced, they weren't fools. What happened with the bandits was too obvious.

"Let her go? Ha!"

Shen Liang arched an eyebrow and raised his head. There wasn't even a plaque for the courtyard. It was the same as before, "Qi Yue, prepare ink and paper."

"Liangliang!"

Seeing that he didn't plan on saying anything and instead asked for ink and paper, the temperamental Qi Xuan once again could restrain herself. After all, they were all still young and children.

"Qi Yue, my head aches."

He raised his head to look at her, fatigued. It wasn't that he didn't want to explain, but that there was simply too much to teach them. However, his head felt heavy and groggy. He only wished to rest now.

"Is it the fever again? The wound has started to bleed again. Let's forego the ink and paper for now. Allow us to first head in and rest."

The moment Shen Liang called out in pain, Qi Yue immediately forgot their dispute and reached out to touch Shen Liang's forehead. She half helped, half carried Shen Liang into the courtyard. Qi Xuan was still in a stupor but then saw the silent beckoning gesture Shen Liang made to her and smiled. She picked up the suitcase and trailed after.

Unsurprisingly, there wasn't any of the so-called servants Liu Shuhan had arranged for him. Fortunately, the courtyard was not too dilapidated. It had indeed been cleaned by someone not too long ago. Some old furniture that were either used or could no longer be used had been added. But otherwise, it remained the way it had been in five years ago. Of course, besides the tree that had grown. 

The three of them no longer concerned themselves with the state of the courtyard. After Shen Liang fell asleep, between the two of them, one headed out to find a physician for Shen Liang. They refused to believe that Liu Shuhan would really seek out a physician for them. After the medicine had been collected, they bought some other herbs as well. The other nimbly and swiftly cleaned up the courtyard. During those years in the countryside, even servants could bully their master. they had long since been accustomed to doing such deeds and hard labor jobs. 

Yixin Court

"Madame, the servant from the fifth young master's courtyard went and hired a physician. Qi Xuan also came over to retrieve the month's spending as well as ask for some necessities for the courtyard. I had her come back later. Should we give or not?"

As they had finally dealt with the officials from the Imperial Court and sent them away, the mother-daughter pair returned to their own quarters, forlorn, but was immediately greeted by the housekeeper in charge. The mother-daughter pair didn't bother concealing their disdain and disgust. Shen Qiang said unhappily, "Give what give? He should take a good look at himself? Who does he think he is? Even Father doesn't bother and care for him. If it wasn't for his d*mn brother repeatedly accumulating military achievements and entering the Emperor's eyes, how would he ever have the opportunity to return?"

They were all the legitimate children of the Marquis Manor born from the official wives of the Marquis but the two brothers Shen Da and Shen Liang was just different. Regardless of whether it was within or out of the Marquis Manor, in the view of the outsiders, the children of the first official wife would always be superior to them. Shen Qiang was Shen Ruiting's only daughter. Since young, she had been spoiled and indulged on, but Shen Da was the only person who couldn't care less about her. When she was young, she was confused, and even saddened, but as she grew older, she finally understood that the man wasn't really her brother. Tempered by her mother and brother's poisonous tongue as well the rumors spread amongst the plebeians, Shen Qiang was filled with nothin but hatred for them. 

"Qiang'er!"

Liu Shuhan called out disapprovingly. She ignored her daughter's dissatisfaction and turned to the housekeeper to continue, "What should be given to the fifth young master should all be given to him. If he wants something, give it to him. Meanwhile, pick out some Gers. I'll personally assign them to him tomorrow when paying respects to the old lady."

"This..."

It was reasonable to choose some clever Gers as to closely monitor the fifth young master, but wasn't giving the rest spoiling the fifth young master?

The housekeeper didn't understand, and Shen Qiang was even more upset, "Mother, why are you treating him so well? If it weren't for daughter, you would have pinned the crime of attempted murder on the legitimate heir on you! Even so, there are so rumors outside. Aren't you upholding his prestige as is?"

"Silly girl. It's precisely because of the rumors outside that I need to treat him well. Don't forget what your grandmother is most concerned with. Your father despised him. I'll raise him well and after a while, find a time for him to look around the City with you. The public will see how well he's recovered. He won't be donned in an attire any worse than yours and the rumors will naturally cease."

Liu Shuhan smiled and patted her daughter's hand. It wasn't the time to dispose Shen Liang. How could she allow them to die so easily without extracting what value she could from their beloved brotherly relationship?

"So we'll just let him go like this?"

Shen Qiang wasn't a fool, but she was still dissatisfied. Shen Liang's face and posture was too annoying. 

"Don't rush. There's something abnormal with that b*stard. I need to discuss this matter with your uncle. Qiang'er, rest assured. Mother won't let him remain arrogant for much longer."

Recalling what had occurred at the front gate, Lit Shuhan's eyebrows furrowed. In her memories, Shne Liang had always been a cowardly and timid Ger. She had specifically ordered those at the countryside to "take good care " of Shen Liang. In theory, he should be crippled. But... something must have happened to him. It was necessary to send someone to inquire around the countryside as to exactly what had happened.

However, although Liu Shuhan had sensed Shen Liang's abnormality, she didn't take it to heart. It was not worth her time to scheme and deal with a teenager who had been raised in the countryside for five years now.

"Alright. But Mother, please hurry. I don't wish to see him anymore."

With her mother's promise, Shen Qiang reluctantly allowed the matter be.

Liu Shuhan smiled again, "Housekeeper, proceed as I ordered. Assign some workers from the Feiyu Pavilion to come tomorrow and cut some clothes for the fifth young master. For the legitimate heir of the Marquis Manor to dress in tatters is simply a humiliation and shame on the Marquis Manor."

"Yes."

Having derived the madame's intentions and plans, the housekeeper bowed before retreating without any more objections.