Chapter 118

In order to prevent others from criticizing Xiang Zhuo, Shen Liang had specifically informed Lei Zhen to tell Auntie Sun to state to the public that Xiang Zhuo came to the Marquis Donglin Manor with a formal invitation for a small gathering. No one expected that such a matter incurred a disaster though.

Slap!

When the news spread to the back courtyard, the old madame who had been ill in bed immediately overturned the bowl of medicine angrily, "Because of him, my Yang'er had to go through such an ordeal and had everything ruined. That little b*stard actually still has the time and energy to host small gatherings with other noble children? Xiang Chun, go, call him over to Lotus Fragrance Courtyard. This old one doesn't believe that I can't settle him."

When comparing Shen Yang and Shen Liang's circumstances, the old madame couldn't help the rising anger in her chest. Adding on that it was impossible for her to find Duke Duan for vengeance, she simply attributed everything onto Shen Liang's head. If it weren't for his clever tongue speaking what shouldn't be said before the Elder Princess, how could the Elder Princess's Manor land their sights on them? How would her Yang'er end up like that? If he had begged for the Duke of Qingping's help from the very beginning, all of this could've been avoided. But now, her Yang'er had been harmed to the point at which he shuts himself in his room all day. Shen Liang sure had it good. He actually carried himself with the airs belonging to a Prince Consort of Qingping Manor, and was even seeing guests in his own courtyard. Very good, indeed.

"This..."

Chunxiang, the maidservant of the Lotus Fragrance Courtyard couldn't help but hesitate. With their fifth young master's temperament, was the old madame sure she even had the capability of calling him here? Even if he came, wouldn't it only be adding fuel to the fire and end up angering her even more? The physician had stated that with her current body, it was unsuitable for her to endure any more anger and agitate herself. If she were to be angered into vomiting blood, they feared she would end up having a stroke!

"This what? Why aren't you going already?!" the old madame, who was still immersed in her fury, wouldn't think that far. How was it possible for her to do so? Right now, her mind was occupied with deliberating over ways to torture Shen Liang and suppressing his arrogance. She never considered whether Shen Liang would even bother coming or not or whether if he came, whether he would end up angering her to death instead.

"Mother, what use is there in making it difficult for him? With Shen Liang's temperament, do you expect him to come over and take care of you?"

If he wanted to come, he would've come over long ago," Lu Yang pursed her lips into a thin line but never spoke the latter half of her thoughts out loud. She only waved her hand to dismissed Chunxiang who appeared as though she had been forced into a difficult spot.

"He dares to not come?!" the old madame's eyes glared with fury with an expression that spoke of her adamancy. 

Lu Yang had a straightforward and frank personality and spoke bluntly: "He dared to already tear faces with us. What else left is there that he wouldn't dare to do? Mother, you should calm down. Even I know that it'll be fruitless to use the word 'filial' to suppress him. Now that his reputation has soared within the Imperial City and we have attained the impression of being the scheming elders who oppressed him, even if we told the public he was unfilial, I'm afraid others would only think we were tarnishing his reputation deliberately. If he were to cry with grievances again once or twice outside, then I'm afraid we'd be reduced to street rats who the others could spat at everywhere we go."

Lu Yang couldn't restrain the rising fury as she spoke. Two days ago, when she had returned to her maiden family, her sister-in-law, who had always been at odds with her, had used all sorts of manners with underlying meaning in her words to rub this matter in her face. Even now, Lu Yang couldn't calm the discomfort in her heart.