Chapter 80

At the time of Chen the next day (7-9am), the Duke of Qingping had amassed a large number of armored troops and marched out of the Imperial City with great fanfare, under the illusion that he was curious about the monk Hui An's prophecy. With his extravagant nonsense, not only did the common people pointed at him, but the civil and military officials were also filled with righteous indignation. It was said that during morning court, the emperor's face and complexion also drastically changed on the spot. The moment court was adjourned, General Ling also requested to once again return to the City of Wangyue. The old emperor approved. three quarters after the time of Si (11:45), General Ling had also amassed his troops from the Eastern Barracks and headed to the City of Wangyue again.

That day, it became a fervent topic of interest amongst the public on the two troops that left for the City of Wangyue one after the other. Their attention had been tuned to it and no one would have imagined that two quarters later (30min), the Death Bell rung from the Imperial Palace and echoed in the Imperial City's walls. The civilians froze where they stood, dazed as the news was released from the palace that the Empress who had been ill for several years now had finally passed away. The Imperial decree stating that the Mother of Qin had passed away and the entire empire will enter its state of mourning. All celebrations were to cease for an entire month's time.

"Master, you were right. The Empress passed away," Lei Zhen, who returned after finished with his arrangements outside had a complicated gaze. It wasn't that he doubted anything, but he was only concerned that the City of Wangyue's prophecy would indeed come true.

"There must be chaos outside now with the Empress's passing," everyone had their attention on the City of Wangyue and no one expected the Empress to pass away at this time. 

"En. The less wealthy families are alright. They have their closets filled with coarse linen clothes, but the rich and affluent families have all crowded into the linen shops to buy linen. However, the supply has already been confiscated and cut off by the Murong Family. The most recent import won't be until the day after tomorrow. Many people have went to the Murong Family, including members of the Imperial Family. There are too many people in the palace and there simply isn't enough linen.

Although Lei Zhen remains in the Zhonglin Courtyard, he still received news of what conspired outside the walls. His information remained up to date and clear.

"The merchant ship won't arrive. Lei Zhen, send another person over to the Murong Family and tell them to hold on. They must persevere. Obtain the maximum profit with the minimum cost."

Tomorrow with the rain, not only would the City of Wangyue flood, but all the waterways would be affected as will. Ships will have to berth near their closest chores, including the ship that was delivering the linen. Murong Family was a family of merchants. Shen Liang did not have to go into detail with how to proceed. They would naturally have their own methods.

"En," nodding his head, Lei Zhen retreated. 

Shen Liang picked up the children's rattle and teased the baby, "Yue Ge, pass the order that from today on, Zhonglin Courtyard will go under lockdown. Those from any and all courtyards, whether the back courtyard or the main will be turned away.

"Yes," Qi Yue hated that this order couldn't remain indefinite as to prevent those people from coming to harm them again.

"Will you not head to the academy tomorrow?"

"I won't be able to. The Academy will go on break once again. This time, I'd be able to take good advantage of the time to spend with our You'er now."

Shaking his head, the latter half of his words were clearly addressed to Shen You, who was seated in his children's chair. Perhaps because of his special birth and long-distance travel, but Shen You was not only well-behaved and easy to raise, but also a very playful and energetic child. Everytime he was cheated and teased by Shen Liang, this uncle of his, not only did he not cry, but he was always laughing and giggling as well, filled with excitement and energy.