Chapter 87

The torrential rain lasted for half a month and throughout that time, the dam threatened to collapse several times. Every time, the soldiers from the Ling Family Army would rush forward. When it proved too late to use the sandbags, they blocked the incoming flood with their own bodies as a temporary solution. However, while Wangyue City's dam was saved, the further downstream regions weren't. The impact and severity of the damage was solemn and frightening. Countless deaths ensued and the situation in court was filled with solemnness every day. From the emperor to the civil and military officials, each and every one of them feared the consequences if this matter was not handled with caution.

On the twentieth day of the rain, Wangyue City delivered another urgent news to court. The Wangyue City dam had been breached again and most of the city had been ruthlessly submerged by the indiscriminatory flood. Fortunately, the Duke of Qingping personally led the Nether Guards over to stabilize the situation and provide reinforcements. Only then was the dam saved once again. Unfortunately, the duke suffered from grave injuries as a result and under the Ironclad Guards' escort, was hurried back to the Imperial City for treatment. General Ling once again sent in a request for reinforcements from the Imperial City to help stabilize the dam.

"Yuanxian was injured? Truly?" after a few words of courtesy and approving the general's requests, the emperor hurriedly adjourned the court meeting. The moment he returned to the Imperial Study, he summoned his own hidden guards and demanded the situation's details.

"Yes. According to the reports, the duke suffered from an injury from a piece of debris that pierced through his abdomen from the flood as he was saving a civilian. The injury was not lethal, but Tianshu, the commander of the Ironclad Guards personally escorted him back into the Imperial City," the commander of the hidden guard responded with one knee on the ground.

"Were all the Ironclad Guards evacuated from the region?" the emperor continued to question after a moment's deliberation.

"They originally were supposed to but by the General Ling and Marquis Huaiyang's request, a good portion of the troops remained behind temporarily. When the reinforcements Your Majesty sends arrive, they will immediately retreat."

Slap!

Hearing this, the emperor slapped his palm on the armrest of the dragon chair with a darkened expression: "The Ironclad Guards are my Great Qin Empire's army. On what basis did they become Pei Yuanxian's private army and private escort. In times of disaster, they don't think about saving the people. The moment Pei Yuanxian is injured, they want to retreat immediately. What use does this emperor have for them?"

His enraged roar resounded throughout the Imperial Study. But it seems like the emperor had forgotten that he had been fret with concern and worry when the Ironclad Guards were intending to stay in Wangyue City. Moreover, the Imperial Family had long since stopped allocating any monetary funds and salary to the Ironclad Guards. They were not raised by the Imperial Family in any way anymore.

"Continue to look into the Ironclad Guards and the situation at Wangyue City. You're dismissed." No one knew how much time passed before the emperor finally waved an arm when no one responded to his rage. When only he remained in the study, a distorted smile emerged on his dark expression. Pei Yuanxian was injured. Good!

Marquis Donglin Manor.

"What did you say? Is it serious?" For the past few days, Shen Liang had confined himself to his own courtyard. Even when Shen Ruiting finally couldn't endure the intricacies and tedious affairs of the back courtyard and had the authority temporarily handed over to Sun Jing to handle and take control over, Shen Liang didn't take even a step out of his courtyard. Liu Shuhan, the second family, and the third family were all descended into chaos but it was as though Shen liang had truly isolated himself from the rest of the manor as he remained in his courtyard. No matter what Lei Zhen reported to him, Shen Liang had been able to respond with indifference and calm. It wasn't until today that he was told Pei Yuanxian was injured that Shen Liang was startled and a crack appeared in his usual indifference.