Chapter 125

With Shen Qiang and the others' help, the giant carriage filled with steamed buns was soon handed out. Almost all of the refugees were able to get their hands on one, but it was impossible for the refugees that had hurried over along the way when hearing the news to also receive their share. After all, there was a limit to the number of steamed buns they had but no limit to the number of refugees. Shen Qiang and the others couldn't help but feel frightened when meeting the hungry gazes of the refugees. They retreated back to the old madame's side and left all the trouble to Shen Liang again.

"My apologies, everyone, but the steamed buns for today have all been distributed." Accompanied by Lei Zhen and Yaoguang by his side, Shen Liang stepped forward and stated the truth of the matter frankly. He indeed had nothing left to hand out. The refugees had heard of him and garnered a favorable impression of Shen Liang along the way here. This Ger was not a hypocritical person. They did not make a fuss either, but their disappointment was also inevitable.

"Benefactor Shen, the medicine you asked for has arrived." At the same time, two young novice monks from the Xiangguo Temple headed over with a bowl of medicine. Shen Liang took the bowl from them and sniffed. After ascertaining there wasn't any problems, the then turned to face the man with the child and bent down.

"Have the child drink it while it's still hot."

"Many thanks, Young Master Shen," the man smiled shyly. He took over the medicine bowl and tested the temperature. After ascertaining that it wasn't too hot, he brought the bowl to the child's mouth, "Dabao, be good. You'll only get better after drinking the medicine. Your father and them are no longer here. You can't leave me too." 

Pitter-patter.

As the man spoke, his tears dripped into the medicine bowl. The child encased in his embrace was at most two years old. However, he was more sensible than children his age. He reached out to wipe the man's tears: "Dad... Daddy, don't cry! Bao, Bao'er will drink."

"En...." the man nodded his head and delivered the medicine bowl to the child's mouth again. The boy really did open his mouth and drank the medicine sip by sip. 

Shen Liang's panoramic view took in the entire scene before he suddenly asked, "Where did you two come from? Are there any other family members?"

"En?" It was evident that the man did not expect Shen Liang to suddenly speak up. He moved the medicine bowl slightly away as to prevent the child from choking: "Responding to Young Master Shen, we come from Heyang County. About a month ago, a large-scale mountain collapse occurred there. About half of Heyang County was buried alive. My family... they did not make it out alive. Only my child and I remain..." As his memories were stoked, the man could not help the tears that swarmed his eyes ago. He originally had a blessed little family. His husband was a scholar and an accountant. Occasionally, he would help out at the shops around in town. Although not wealthy, their family were able to make mean's end. However, the disaster came so suddenly and, in an instant, before he even knew it, he had already lost everything. His home was gone. His husband and family were all dead. He himself could only watch as his originally plump and white baby grow weak and more and more feeble as days passed. He had no time to be depressed. He could only take his child and migrate with the other refugees to the outskirts of the Imperial City, hoping to find an opportunity that could support him and his child. Unfortunately, the Imperial City was not as beautiful as the rumors painted it to be. The soldiers guarding the gates of the Imperial City saw that he and his child were dirty and emaciated. Afraid that the two of them had contacted some strange disease, they refused to allow them entrance, much less allow them to find a job to support themselves.

"En... would you be willing to sell yourself and your child into slavery?" After a moment's contemplation and silence, Shen Liang asked. Those who heard his words, including Lei Zhen and Yaoguang, all widened their eyes. Was he intending to play the role of a good person to the end? From their understanding of Shen Liang, he wasn't a foolish saint though. *Slavery in the sense becoming a servant to the Marquis Family/Shen Liang. The man would be considered a slave in the sense that when servants of a family are beaten to death, it is considered their master's right. Not one would be able to give them justice, but Shen Liang isn't that kind of master. Rather, the man would instead be able to have food and a place to sleep as Shen Liang's servant. In contrast, Shen Liang would be taking in someone they had not yet done a background check on. Despite being slaves, the slaves of affluent families and nobles all have to be checked and are usually from credible generations. Not anyone can come into a noble's manor and serve them, even as slaves/servants.