Chapter 108

The Ministry of Punishment prison cells was not far from the Ministry of Punishment itself. Tension cloaked and suffocated the three brothers as Shen Ruiting and them trailed behind the clerk to the prison cells. It was only after the clerk's explanation that they realized since the bandits who kidnapped the Young Master Duan were able to "commit suicide" in the prison cells, to prevent the same from happening to Wen Yuan and the other prisoners involved in the case, the Prince Consort Duan deliberately had the Ministry of Punishment strengthen and intensify the guards around the prison cells and ensure that even a fly wouldn't be come in. 

"Let me out, I'm innocent... Let me out..."

"I'm innocent..."

"Let me out..."

As they headed down the narrow passage into the range of the prison cells, endless grievances and cries of innocence sounded around them. The clerk led them past a rack filled with instruments of torture, each of which seemed to be glowing with a gloomy light. Further ahead was the entrance to the deeper prison cells. There were many prisoners on both sides of the corridor and the moment they saw Shen Ruiting's entourage, they immediately surged forward and stretched out their hands through the gaps of the railings for them to plead their cases.

"Scram!" Shen Ruijiang growled with disdain when he was almost grabbed by a black hand whose orginal skin color hadn't been seen for a long time now. The jailer and clerk didn't express any surprise. If there were no accident, big people like them would never step into such a place their entire lives. It was only natural to feel disdain and disgust for the prisoners here. However, they seemed to have forgotten that their manor's two young masters were also prisoners here at this moment.

In the depths of the prison cells, Shen Xiao and Shen Yang, who were still dressed in their gorgeous and luxurious brocade robes each occupied a corner of their cells. The two lacked their usual poised and refined demeanor. Their hair was messy and their features pale. Their expressions seemed sluggish as though they had suffered through a great deal. But after thinking about it, both were young masters of affluent birth and were born with gold spoons in their mouths. They had been raised delicately, pampered and spoiled in the Marquis Donglin Manor for over twenty years now. When had they ever suffered through something like this? But they were not fools either. They were clear on how serious this matter was for them to be found involved in the civil exams fraud case. Even if they were saved and rescued from prison, their future may be ruined.

"This is it," the jailer who led the way opened the doors to the cell while addressing the visitors. 

When the two youths heard the commotion, they raised their heads and immediately rushed over in a crazed rush, "Father, save me. Father..."

"Father, eldest Uncle, save me. I don't want to stay here..."

The two people who were originally still tense and stiff immediately broke down and lost their composure when they spotted their guardians. All they were missing were tears streaming down their cheeks.

"Yang'er..." Shen Ruiqing and Shen Ruijiang also rushed forward in a hurry. Both of them grabbed onto Shen Yang's protruding hands from the gaps of the railings excitedly.

However, Shen Ruiting only glared at Shen Xiao bitterly. After the jailer opened the cell, Shen Ruiting immediately strode into the cell. Shen Xiao immediately sensed there was something wrong with Shen Ruiting's expression and couldn't help but retreat two steps. He managed out fearfully, "Fath, father..."

Slap!

"You scoundrel!" 

Unexpectedly, Shen Xiao had only just opened his mouth when Shen Ruiting slapped him harshly across the face. Shen Xiao staggered back several steps before he managed to stabilize himself. His left cheek begin to swell and fluster from the slap. This set of actions shocked and alarmed Shen Ruiqing group of three on the other side. Shen Yang subconsciously tightened his grip on his father, somewhat afraid. The clerk who accompanied them and the jailer stepped aside nonchalantly.