Chapter 12

Rumors that circulate amongst the public have always been an invisible blade. It was a weapon Liu Shuhan often wielded and now, Shen Liang had used it against her. Unsurprisingly, within an afternoon's time, several versions of how the madame of the Marquis Manor abused the heir and son of the former madame of the Marquis Manor circulated the Imperial City. When Liu Shuhan heard the news early morning, she fell back from anger and even had the heart to tear Shen Liang's heart out.

The old lady of the Marquis Manor was still alive, and the Marquis Family had not yet divided and separated. Besides the main family, the second and third family also resided in the Marquis Manor. In contrast to Liu Shuhan's frustration, those from the second and third family were delighted and hated that Shen Liang couldn't put some more effort in. It would be for the best if Shen Liang could tear that mother-child group of three to shreds. Since ancient times, conflicts ran rampant, and tensions were high between concubines and the main wife. Such a situation was especially severe in the Marquis Donglin Manor because Shen Ruiting was not the old madame's biological son.

This matter was a long story. When the old madame first married into the Marquis Manor, she was infertile and without news for a worrisome long time. Adding on her envy and jealousy, she also didn't allow any of the concubines any opportunities to conceive either. Many years after, the old Marquis brought an infant home. The old madame in her twenties at that time coughed blood from anger but couldn't do anything besides registering the child under the family name. Shen Ruiting eventually became the eldest son of the Marquis Manor. In a moment of happiness, the old Marquis directly declared him the heir of the manor.

Who would have thought that not long after, the old madame displayed signs of pregnancy and gave birth to not one, but two children. But Shen Ruiting was already the heir of the Marquis Manor. Shen Ruiting also displayed talent and the old madame had no reason to ask the old Marquis to abolish Shen Ruiting. She could only watch as this outsider took the position of heir that should've belonged to her children. However, Shen Ruiting was quite filial to this old madame. Except for when he was insistent on marrying Wei Zeqian, he have never gone against her will on any other matter. 

But with such a situation, how was it possible for the relationship between the second and third family to be anything but peaceful with the main family?

"Grandma, have some."

Around the time of Chen *7-9am*, at the Lotus Courtyard was a seemingly warm morning greeting. The three families were fathered. Shen Wang, the second son from the second family's Shen Ruiqing held a lotus cake toward the old madame. The old madame was pleased, "Ah, my good grandson, it's still you who's the most considerate of grandma. Unlike some others who only know how to anger me all day long."

As she said such words, the old madame did not forget to give Liu Shuhan a glance pointedly, alluding to the widespread rumors outside. 

Liu Shuhan and her daughter's smiles froze but they soon recovered, "Is Mother-in-law still angry with Xiao Wu?" *Xiao Wu is Shen Liang.*

Yes. Liu Shuhan was the old madame's eldest daughter-in-law, but she was also the old madame's distant niece. That was also one of the many reasons why she was still able to marry into the Marquis Manor even when Shen Ruiting loved only Wei Zeqian.

"Sister-in-law, Xiao Wu is still a child. When encountering such an issue, can you not directly pin it on others?"

Without waiting for the old madame to speak, Zhao Lan, wife of Shen Ruiqing from the second family called out sarcastically. It was obvious Liu Shuhan had the intentions of throwing the black pot on Shen Liang. But how was it possible that she would allow Liu Shuhan to completely root herself out from the problem?