Chapter 59

Regardless of what the others thought, the two parties of focus didn't appear the least bit serious, one appearing as though he had cracked nothing more than a joke and the other without the slightest fluctuation in his expression, as though he had heard nothing. From a certain aspect, the two of them could be considered a match made in heaven.

"Yuanxian, don't mess around..."

"Oh? Then I wonder what Shen Liang thinks? Are you willing to accept Yuanxian's marriage proposal?" Seeing that the situation was getting out of hand, the prince consort was prepared to smooth things over when the fifth Prince, Qin Yuntian, who had always been unscrupulous, demanded relentlessly. His devilish gaze fell on Shen Liang and because of this, Shen Liang once again became the focus of the audience. The chattering and hushed whispers surrounding them dissipated and fell into silence without a trace as the entire hall awaited Shen Liang's response.

Since he had been called on, then it was inevitably impossible for Shen Liang to continue to ignore the matter. His actions of fiddling with the bow slowly stopped as he raised his head and looked around the hall before his gaze finally rested on Duke Duanjun: "If I remember correctly, shouldn't we be preoccupied with my competition with the Young General Ling now? Since when did this event become about my marriage matter?"

Regardless of whether he was willing, he couldn't express his opinions openly right then and there before the scrutinizing gazes of everyone present. His marriage was his matter to decide and he couldn't allow just any outsider to interfere on it.

"Cough, cough..."

Clearly not expecting Shen Liang's response to be this, Duke Duanjun coughed twice unnaturally as though clearing his throat before continuing, "Shen Liang is right. This is now his competition with Young General Ling. Besides, marriage matters are matters that had always been what parents decide. With Aunt and Uncle passing away early, it's understandable for Yuanxian to mess around, but Shen Liang is a Ger and his reputation is something that carries more weight than his life for him."

As he spoke, Duke Duanjun's eyes fell on the Imperial Princes, who had had gloomy expressions. He couldn't help but sigh in his heart. For the matters to have escalated to this point, he was afraid even the Emperor would find himself tempted now?

"It's alright. This lord will indulge and dote on you. I'll naturally wait until you nod your head," as though afraid the audience's fright still wasn't sufficient enough for his entertainment, Pei Yuanxian smiled meaningfully at Shen Liang. Perhaps no one would have guessed that he was serious this time. For Shen Liang to not refuse him outright, for Pei Yuanxian, it was tantamount to the best response he had expected for himself. 

"Many thanks, my lord," turning his gaze on him, Shen Liang thanked him. Afterwards, he turned his gaze back onto Ling Yucheng: "Young General Ling, shall we continue?"

It wasn't easy to be an hero. Today, Shen Liang was adamant on teaching the boy a free lesson today.

"....."

Ling Yucheng found himself unable to speak with his dark expression. He couldn't concede and admit defeat. Neither could he really just stand there and let himself be an open target. He felt depressed and suffocated and felt as though he was suffering from an internal injury.

"Or perhaps the Young General Ling intends to admit defeat? That's alright. I'm an easy person to talk to. If you really concede, I won't truly take you to be taking advantage of your status as a distant relative of the Imperial Family to bully me."

"You..."Ling Yucheng's eyes widened at Shen Liang's provocative words. He impulsively picked up the apple and placed it on his head: "Just shoot! Isn't it just shooting. Go on!"