Chapter 41

In the end, Yaoguang had to helplessly teak Yaoguang back with him. Afterwards, the group headed back to Yinjia Lane to pick up Fu Ying prior to heading back to the Marquis Manor. For them to have suddenly brought back two people, it was necessary to report the matter to the temporary authority of the Marquis Courtyards, Zhao Lan. Because the news of his angering Liu Wenjin in the streets out in public have already circulated around the Manor, Shen Liang did not report to the second family in person. Instead, he sent Qi Yue to inform Zhao Lan. As for whether Zhao Lan would be dissatisfied with his lackluster attitude, that was not within Shen liang's concern.

Of course, Zhao Lan was dissatisfied. After so many years, she had finally grasped onto control and assumed the authority to handle all affairs of the Marquis Donglin Manor. Shen Liang's behavior displayed that he clearly did not take her position to heart and seriously. But Zhao Lan was also an intelligent woman and knew that she had only assumed her position through improper means. In addition, Shen Liang was Shen Ruiting's heir. There was also another Liu Shuhan who could sntach back the authority anytime and was undoubtedly scheming to do so. Therefore, although inside, she hated that she couldn't tear Shen Liang apart, on the surface, she still gave Shen Liang enough face and responded to Qi Yue's notification with an amicable smile.

As expected, the very next day, the latest rumors regarding Marquis Donglin Manor circulated Imperial City. This time was different from before though. Both the fact that Liu Wenjin had utilized Imperial forces to stop Shen Liang's carriage and Shen Liang's identity as the original madame's son were true. Immediately, the rumors that Liu Shuhan mistreated the original madame's son, schemed to drive the heir away, Marquis Dongling killing his wife to spoil the concubine, and mixed amongst those, even the rumor that Shen Liang disrespects his stepmother all dissipated and disappeared without making many waves.

"Son of a b*tch!"

The Marquis held the position of the Ministry of Household, who overlooked many aspects including but not limited to land and household registration, taxation, currency, official salaries, financial revenue and expenditure. Due to the disaster, Shen Ruiting had been swamped by his workload. He didn't even have the energy and time to inquire about Liu Shuhan's loss of authority when he headed to court today and was greeted by the aversive and amused gazes of other officials. During the session, several censors that were delivered before the emperor were read aloud and Shen Ruiting left the court session cursing his son with a dark expression as he strode angrily home.

"Marquis? Marquis, please wait..." Zhonglin Courtyard had finally been cleaned up after much difficulty. Several servants were carrying out the damp quilt and clothes with their master when they saw Shen Ruiting striding toward them from a distance. Qi Yue immediately knew it wasn't good, and hurriedly dropped what he had in his hand to hurriedly stop Shen Ruiting. But Shen Ruiting didn't even bother sparing him a glance before rushing over to Shen Liang. 

"You b*stard! You were the one who did this good thing?!" His heated gaze stared through the drying bedspreads. Smoke might as well be rising from Shen ruiting's head from his anger. Thanks to this b*stard, he had lost all his face in court today!

"What did I do?" Shen Liang slowly fixed the quilt before calmly raising his gaze to meet Shen Ruiting's. Between the father-son pair, one was infuriated to the point of death while the other behaved tepidly, without concern. The fire and water were clearly incompatible. Fu Ying spotted this from the side and hurriedly stepped forward, "Greetings to the Marquis."

"And who are you?" after being retorted by Shen Liang as such, Shen Ruiting slid his glare over towards the newcomer. Only then did he realize that there was more than one unfamiliar face in the courtyard. 

"This servant is Fu Ming and is the steward of Zhonglin Courtyard." Fu Ming was Fu Ying's pseudonym while staying at Zhonglin Courtyard. In addition, to prevent others from recognizing him, Shen Liang had also used the silver needles to slightly change his appearance as disguise. After all, he is the father of the former State Scholar, and there were many people who still recognize his name and person in the Imperial City.

"He is my person and has nothing to do with the Marquis. For the Marquis to spare us a visit, I'm unclear on the purpose? If there isn't anything, then please return. This Zhongling Courtyard is small and cannot occupy the Marquis, such a big figure," Shen Liang stepped in front of Fu Ying with an indifferent expression. He was not the least bit surprised by Shen Ruiting's appearance. For the rumors that were circulating around in the Imperial City to spread so fiercely and violently, not only were the common folk's love for gossip to thank for, but the Nether Guards and the Ironclad Forces also played a significant role in propagating the rumors. As an Imperial court official, his feathers were too priceless to be ruffled. It was only natural for him to question the person who implicated him.

Yes, it was as though he had forgotten the person who was involved in the matter wasn't only Shen Liang. For a father to end up like this, in the entire world, there can't be many.

"You..." he didn't expect Shen Liang to still retort and be so sharp-tongued. Shen Ruiting felt the urge to rush forward and give him a harsh slap across the face, but Yaoguang materialized before him and grasped onto his arm. 

"The master has orders to eliminate anyone who targets young master Liang," in order to prevent complications, both Yaoguang and Fu Ying came under the orders of Shen Da.

"Shen Da? You're Shen Da's person?" Shen Ruiting's originally insurmountable anger subsided a good portion when hearing news concerning his eldest son. "How is Da'er these few days? The northwest border is filled with hardships and battles. Has he been living well? Or has he suffered injuries?"

Admittedly, Shen Ruiting still adores his eldest son. From his perspective, Shen Da's status exceeded that of all his heirs. Had Wei Zeqian not passed away, perhaps Shen Liang would have received the same attention and love, but it did nothing to negate that the Shen Ruiting had become an old fool. 

"Is the Marquis joking? How is it possible to live well without suffering injuries on the battlefield? What purpose does caring for the Elder Master now serve? Where were you before when needed?" Yaoguang was not the least bit courteous. He had always been the most mischievous and dared to be the most sharp-tongued one before Pei Yuanxian. What did a little marquis amount to before him? In addition, the man was clearly treating their future Wangfei poorly. 

Shen Ruiting's face flustered under Yaoguang's retort. He did regret what had happened before, but what he was regretful of was his inability to handle the matter more cleanly, as to also end up forcing Shen Da away as well in addition to sending the ten-year old Shen Liang to the countryside to fend for himself.

"You just need to tell this Marquis whether Da'er has been living well." Just this and he was already aggravated? 

Yaoguang slapped his arm away: "If I said not well, what well the Marquis do? If you really cared about the Elder Master, how could you bear to watch him walk away when he wasn't even fifteen then? How could you then bear to kneel before the emperor to abolish his status as heir as well? Take a look around the Imperial City, Marquis, and dare to ask Marquis, how many heirs do you see abolished of their status before they even turned twenty?"

Since he wasn't a loving father, why keep the pretense of one? Wasn't it only disgusting?

"...." Shen Ruiting's throat constricted. His eyes appeared as though they would fall out from their sockets any moment as they stared at him. After a while, he then turned to Shen Liang, "You scoundrel! You even dared to ask what did you do? Are you not clear yourself on just what you did?"

Thinking of the accusations that rain one after another upon him such as believing in superstition, murdering his wife to dote the concubine, conniving with the stepmother to murder his original madame's son, and such, the anger that had only just subsided surged once again in Shen Ruiting.