Chapter 97

"Master, what do you think the emperor's inclination is?" When the entourage left with the emperor, the Ironclad Guards, including Yaoguang, who had hidden their presences during the emperor's visit gradually emerged. Pei Yuanxian, who had also been pretending to be unconscious also propped himself up against the bedrest.

"He will pass the edict," Pei Yuanxian revealed an evil sneer as he stated with certainty. If the emperor wasn't sure before, Tianshu and Old Lin's words before they left had surely woken him up. With his characteristic suspicious nature and self-centered mindsight, he would definitely make the choice that would be the most beneficial to him. That choice just so happens to be the choice Pei Yuanxian wanted.

"The Master is so certain?" Yaoguang and the others looked at him with suspicion. How did he derive such confidence? They had hidden in the shadows for quite a while, spying on the emperor, but throughout the entire time, the emperor never revealed any intentions of passing an edict. On the contrary, he seemed quite adverse towards that prospect.

"Pass my orders and have people spread the news that this lord will marry Liangliang to the Imperial Princes. This lord sure wants to see when the old emperor sees his own sons scheming to make advances on Shen Liang, would he still be able to sit still," Pei Yuanxian didn't answer their questions. Rather, he gave a sinister laugh. Since he had already made such a big front, he'd simply be wronging himself if he couldn't achieve his means.

"Yes," Tianxuan complied and turned around. 

Yaoguang wanted to say more but Pei Yuanxian's gaze slid over first and landed on him, "This lord sent you to protect Liangliang and this is how you do it?"

"Um...." Yaoguang's forehead immediately darkened as he subconsciously hid behind Tianquan, "Master, you misunderstood me. It was Wangfei who sent me back. He wanted me to come back and see for myself what conspired and report back to him. He just wouldn't allow those Nether Guards to come." 

They'll have to forgive him for his lies. At this time, he truly didn't dare to say he was the one who proposed to come. If he did, his Master would have him skinned!

"And you're still not heading back then?" Pei Yuanxian's expression was no longer as ugly, but his tone was as aggravated as before. 

"Right away," the moment he said that, Yaoguang's figure disappeared from their sight. Shortly afterwards, Tianshu and Old Lin also returned. Pei Yuanxian relayed some precautions to them. An hour later, borrowing the excuse that the emperor suggested they invite some physicians over to see if there were any other methods to save Pei Yuanxian and invited several more physicians to the Duke of Qingping Manor. Such news spread from ear to ear and from one big family to another within minutes. 

Fifth Imperial Prince Manor. 

"What did you say? Pei Yuanxian's about to die but still asked for Shen Liang's hand in marriage?" When he heard his subordinate's reports, Qin Yuntian, who had been discussing with his mother concubine on how to marry Shen Liang without incurring the emperor's wrath, was immediately infuriated. 

Not only was Shen Liang's background strong, but he was also a courageous person. If Pei Yuanxian was still alive and well and fought against him for Shen Liang, then the fifth prince had nothing to say. After all, the more priceless something was, the more people there would be to covet such a treasure, wasn't that the logic? But Pei Yuanxian was already someone on his last breath but he still wanted to fight with them over Shen Liang? Would he refuse to let them gain an advantage even when dying?

"That is indeed so. This servant deliberately derived the news from fifth young prince, your grandfather's manor. However, the person who proposed the marriage wasn't the duke himself. They say he's already lost consciousness. The matter was raised by the Duke of Qingping Manor Steward Lin. The Ironclad Guard's commander Tianshu, also conferred." The servant who reported the news had a grave expression. Now that the Duke of Qingping was on his last breath but also had done meritorious service, what if the emperor... then everything the fifth Imperial prince had done thus far would have been done in vain.