Chapter 83

The Empress passed away. The rain came. The emperor seemed to have aged a decade within a single night in the Jinluan Hall. The hundreds of officials, both military and scholars held their breaths, afraid to even breathe as they restrained themselves tacitly, for fear of accidentally inciting the emperor's temper. 

"Urgent news from the City of Wangyue!"

"Report!" 

Suddenly, news came. The emperor stood up instantly and before the eunuch could announce it's arrival by protocol, the emperor immediately ordered the news be stated. He had already lost his poise from anxiousness. The officials immediately shrank their neck, especially Wen Yuan, who had been entrusted formerly with the stabilization of the embankment at the City of Wangyue. If anything happened to the dam, then he would be amongst the first to suffer. 

"General Ling send the report that the water level of the Wangyue River had suddenly increased sharply. The dam may not hold on very long anymore and request Your Majesty to please send more troops to the City of Wangyue. In addition to that, the Ironclad Guards under the Duke of Qingping's leadership stepped up quickly and responded in kind. They have stepped up and there have been no major casualties amongst the civilians thus far due to the Ironclad Guards' contribution. He urgently requests Your Majesty to organize and send in reinforcements. They will need physicians and medicinal equipment sent as well."

The report appeared to have been written hastily. The tone did not lack respect but lacked embellishment and poise. If it was any other time, perhaps Ling Weize would face reports of impeachment from the officials once again.

"Ironclad Guards?" the emperor's primary concern did not rest with the civilians as he grasped firmly onto the word "Ironclad Guards." The Ling Army's soldier who had hurriedly returned to the Imperial City to report the situation under the torrential rain cupped his fists together and looked up at the high emperor. "Yes. Last night, General Ling paid the Duke of Qingping, who traveled to the City of Wangyue for entertainment, and requested the Ironclad Guards' aide in the case the rain truly came. With the rain, the 10,000 soldiers of the Ling Army are all occupied with the embankment and reinforcing the dam. They lack the personnel to still evacuate the civilians and ease the people. The Duke of Qingping passed the order and had the Ironclad Guard's Tianshu to take over from the Wangyue City's top official to evacuate the civilians and urgently lead them to higher grounds. The moment the dam collapses, the civilians would be able to be evacuated as soon as possible through the eight routes available. Your Majesty, the water volume of the Wangyue River has increased and only continues to do so. The dam cannot hold on any further. Please send troops to reinforce it immediately. Concurrently, as the evacuation of the civilians were done too impromptu, there was no time to take the grains and food supply as well. The Duke, Official Zhang, and General Ling wish to inquire Your Majesty if the grain warehouses can be opened and released to settle the refugees. Finally, many soldiers and civilians had to brave the rain last night and have all fell ill. It would be crucial to send a medical team to the City of Wangyue and aid in treating the people."

The location and geography of the City of Wangyue was too unique. The disaster came too suddenly. The civilians were all anxious and frightened and the soldiers were having a difficult time putting them to ease. If it weren't for the Duke of Qingping's quick actions and response, it was highly suspected that the City of Wangyue and the surrounding cities would be swallowed by even more intense chaos. 

"How many Ironclad Guards are there?"

The Ling Family soldier who had been placed in charge of relaying the report looked at the emperor with eagerness for aid. But the emperor grasped firmly onto the subject of the Ironclad Guards. 

It was inevitable for the Ling Family soldier to feel chilled in his heart, but he had no choice but to respond: "Replying to Your Majesty, when this soldier left the City of Wangyue, the city was still in chaos. It remains unclear exactly how much personnel the Ironclad Guards provide. I suspect it is exactly the same number who escorted the Duke of Qingping to the City of Wangyue the day before."