Chapter 5

"Are you sure they were bandits?"

They were only several hundred meters away from the vicinity of the Imperial City. Within the first ten miles was the Longyang County. The pursuers were simply too audacious as bandits.

"Yes."

Meeting his gaze that seemed to have seen through everything, Shen Liang nodded his head. After a short pause, he then continued, "Then being bandits is real. But whether the encounter with them was a coincidence is debatable. If we had not met with your Lord, I'm afraid this master and my servants' lives would be in jeopardy. In the near future, Shen Liang will ensure to come with gratitude and pay my respects."

If he wasn't reborn, then Liu Shuhan's brother Liu Wenjin would save him in half a amonth's time from the bandits' den. If everything was nothing more than a coincidence, than it defied the odds. Shen Liang could not bear to face his stupidity from his previous life. But now...

"Is your Highness aware of the disappearance of Princess Yuehua's grandson?"

Shen Liang recalled the matter from contemplation of the past. When Liu Wenjin saved him, the decomposed young body of Princess Yuehua's grandson was also found. Because of this matter, Liu Wenjin had received the Princess's graces and even His Majesty had passed a decree rewarding him for his effort and promoted him with the title of Marquis Longyang. From with careful analysis, it was evident that Liu Wenjin conspired with the bandits. How could Liu Wenjin be innocent in this matter? The Elder Princess Yuehua's grandson being desmembered and his being kidnapped, followed by Liu Wenjin's saving graces at just the right time with all the justified reasonings, this was all truly one excellent script and play.

"Oh?" 

The disappearance of the Elder Princess Yuehua's eldest grandson was no secret within the bounds of the Imperial City, but how was one who had not yet stepped food within the city bounds aware of such news? And if Shen Liang had a better information channel compared to the Ironclad Guards themselves, how was it possible Shen Liang had been driven to such a state himself?

The young man before him seemed to have many secrets hidden about him.

The phoenix eyes had intrigue mixed within their deep gaze. Pei Yuanxian toyed with the teacup to hide his amused smile.

"If Your Highness wish to save the young master, perhaps Your Highness should further pursue this matter and uproot the bandits' den. The sooner the better as the young master of Princess Yuehua may not have much longer to wait."

Ignoring the blatant inquiring gaze, Shen Liang stared into them without qualms. If his memories didn't fail him, the young master had been dead for three days since Liu Wenjin saved him. That means at this time, the young master was still alive, but had only ten or so more days left to live. Whether the young master could be saved would depend on whether Pei Yuanxian believed him and acted fast.

Shen Liang's vengeance started now. He would not miss any opportunities to suppress Liu Shuhan and those around Liu Shuhan. Without this feat, Shen Liang wanted to see just how Liu Wenjin would be granted the Marquis title and the support of the Elder Princess.

Pei Yuanxian didn't say anything. He only stared at him with the pair of seductive phoenix eyes. Only after a long time did his deep voice sound out, "Investigate!"

"Yes!"

Several Ironclad Guards immediately called out their obeisance and proceeded to carry out the orders they had received from their lord. 

"Your Highness, the bandits have been eradicated."

Simultaneously, a dozen more Ironclad Guards hurried back, accompanied by the deafening sound of the horses' hooves hitting the ground. Along with the cacophony was a loud thud as the incomplete corpses were thrown to the ground. Included with the corpses of bandits were the three servants Shen Liang had forced off the carriage, Grandma Wei, Jin Zhi, and the coachman. None were spared, and contributed to pile of corpses.