Chapter 47

"Shen Qiang, stop pretending to be a saint here. This master isn't familiar with you at all," Xiang Chao had always made clear distinctions between his likes and dislikes. He never aggrieved himself. Perhaps others might be blind to Shen Qiang's facade, but he was able to see through Shen Qiang instantly. The more she pretended, the more disgusted he felt.

"Xiang Chao..." hearing that, Shen Qiang's eyes immediately reddened, as though aggrieved and wronged. Those who didn't know any better would've thought that Xiang Chao had done something unforgiveable to her.

"That's going too far, Xiang Chao. Don't think you're so impressive just because you're the Lin'an Marquis's second son. Lady Shen only spoke some fair statements. Was it so deserving of your caustic words?"

"Exactly. For a man to bully two girls like this. Do you still want face or no?"

"Hmph! No wonder you hang around Shen Liang, a countryside bum. Birds of a feather flock together," as though Shen Qiang had poked into a beehive, those who surrounded her immediately spoke up in her defense. Xie Yan and the rest of the Gers scowled and frowned. None of them were commoners and they knew full well who was in the right and who was in the wrong. But Xiang Chao was indeed too impulsive. Shen Liang hadn't even spoken yet. Besides, this wasn't Tianmen Academy, but rather the Elder Princess's Manor. If this matter escalated, none of them would end up well. 

Clap, clap, clap! A sound of applause sounded, and everyone stopped. They watched as Shen Liang clapped his hands while slowly standing up. His posture was straight and as he walked, the corners of his gown didn't touch the slightest dust. Adding on his impeccable features, those who surrounded Shen Qiang found their faces flustered. 

"If I'm a countryside bum, then what are you?" he rested his chilling eyes on the man who spoke the fiercest as his expression was saturated with satire. So what if he wasn't doted on and loved by his family? He was still the heir of the Marquis of Donglin Manor, General Shen's only brother from the same parents. Even if they didn't consider his relationship with the old General Wei, his status was still above any of them present. 

The legitimate heir of one of the most affluent families in the Imperial City was a countryside bum?

Who were they kidding? Shen Liang's eyes swept over the youth, making his face blush. He wanted to retort but couldn't find the words to do so, reducing himself into an embarrassed and awkward state. Shen Liang didn't bother with them anymore as he took a few more steps forward.

"Seventh sister sure knows how to speak. What do you mean by this matter was instigated by me? If you didn't call out to me, who would've noticed my presence at all? What ensued naturally wouldn't have occurred either. Exactly who was the one who instigated the matter, I trust that I don't have to make things too clear? But the one perpetrator behind everything wants to act like a saint in the end. Tch, tch... The daughter the Marquis Madame raised sure is different from others. Before, she truly was nothin more than a lowly servant before my father, and even now, she still knows how to pretend to be weak and pitiful before my grandmother and father. I can only say what type of mother will only cultivate the same kind of daughters," Shen Liang smiled as he spoke his words to Shen Qiang.

He didn't know what purpose she had doing this and he also had no interest in knowing. It was her who didn't want face to begin with. Then why should he pity her? Didn't she always want the status of legitimate daughter? Well then, he'll put her in her place and remind her again that she was still nothing more than a bastard daughter born from a concubine. 

Which of them present didn't grow up in a complicated manor. With his words and careful analysis, they found themselves wondering, wasn't that exactly the case? Shen Liang didn't do anything. Had Shen Qiang not called out to him, even if they had noticed him, who would provoke him? With this setting and their background and status, even those who were young would find themselves thinking twice before speaking, because they knew that they were representing more than themselves, but their families here at the banquet.