Chapter 81

Silence descended with nightfall but the Xianlai Inn in the City of Wangyue greeted a stream of people right after another. During the day, the Duke of Qingping's carriage entered the city with his entourage of a thousand Ironclad Guards. He had the entire inn booked and it was only right before nightfall when the Inn finally settled down when General Ling had brought along with him his son, Ling Yucheng to pay a visit again. Chaos and noise once again descended on Xianlai Inn. 

"What is General Ling doing here instead of out there guarding the dam?" ignoring the chaos outside, Pei Yuanxian leaned against the wide chair as he poured a pot of wine into his mouth intermittently. He exuded the full demeanor of a dandy from an aristocratic family all over.

"What is the duke doing here rather than staying in the good confines of the Imperial City? Is it truly only for some whimsical amusement?" seating himself opposite from him, Lin Weize had a straight and upright posture that resembled a pine or cypress tree. He displayed the foundations and posture befitting of someone who was cultivated in a martial family and provided a striking contrast against Pei Yuanxian's posture.

"If it isn't whimsical amusement, then what is it?" with an unruly smile, Pei Yuanxian turned his head and looked at him, "I heard that the Empress has passed away. Why isn't the General in mourning clothes. It's highly disrespectful. Isn't General Ling afriad of being chastised by the officials' reports during tomorrow morning's court session?"

You speak as though you're wearing the filial mourning clothes yourself and displaying filial piety.

Ling Yucheng was filled with complaints against Pei Yuanxian, but with his father still here, he had no room to speak.

"This General is outside the confines of the Imperial City and unable to receive the emperor's decree," Ling Weize was an upright man and did not find any elaborate excuses for himself. 

Pei Yuanxian snapped his fingers: "Spoken very well, but General Ling, we aren't far from the Imperial City here. I wonder if that Uncle Emperor of fine who had always been a suspicious person by nature would accept such a reasoning? Your Ling Family alone controls most of the Eastern Barracks military power. Ling Yuling has also become the third imperial prince's concubine and has the third imperial prince eating from the palm of his hands. Say, do you think the emperor would worry about this thousand mile acreage empire falling into your Ling Family's hands one day?"

"What is the duke implying?" Even Ling Weize couldn't help the flicker in his eyes. The Qin Empire's Imperial Family needed generals but couldn't tolerate them. This was no longer something new. Everyone wanted military power but for anyone, it was also a hot potato. If the old emperor truly trusted in the Ling Family, then they wouldn't be recalled to the Imperial City at this time.

"In actuality, you know full well in your heart the truth and have no need for this lord to spell things out for you." 

If Ling Wei truly was a fool, he wouldn't be capable of attracting and stoking the emperor's fear. 

"If the ruler wants the subject dead, then the subject cannot be anything but." After a momentary silence, Lin Weize lowered his gaze and finally said in a deep voice.

"Ha..." however his response immediately attracted Pei Yuanxian's sneer. "What a good 'if the ruler wants the subject dead, then the subject cannot be anything but.' General Ling truly is Great Qin's loyal and unswerving subject. This lord cannot help but acclaim his admiration!"

If the ruler was not the ruler, and if the path was never the right path to begin with, then what qualifications did he have to decide the life and death of anyone?

Pei Yuanxian narrowed his eyes slightly as he hid the coldness in his gaze. 

"My lord, the City of Wangyue's dam is not a laughing matter. Please do not mess around," although the other party's status was higher than him, he was only a few months older than his eldest son. It was impossible for Lin Weize to take Pei Yuanxian's attitude seriously. But the City of Wangyue's dam concerned thousands of civilians' lives. He didn't want any mishaps to occur due to Pei Yuanxian's unruliness.