Chapter 109

Regardless of the reason, bribery was bribery. The evidence was also convicting and conclusive, leaving no room for sophistry. In that moment, Shen Ruiting couldn't derive any good ideas on how to save them either. He had no choice but to have them remain in prison temporarily and allow him to return to the manor to think of a method. However, his words were met with strong opposition from the brothers Shen Ruiqing and Shen Shen Ruijiang as well as Shen Xiao and Shen Yang. The two brothers, out of distress, and the latter two, because of panic and fear.

"Then you tell me what should I do? It's not like I can forcefully get you out?" Shen Ruiting felt even more aggravated as he was met with their unreasonable attitude. Cheating in the civil service exams was taboo as is, but they just had to commit such a crime at this time as well. They were fortunate the Ministry of Punishment didn't question and convict them where they stood. They still wanted to be released as soon as possible. How would anyone allow them that benefit of doubt?

"No, elder brother, you're the Marquis Donglin. Are you not going to even save your own son and nephew?" After seeing his son suffer so much, Shen Ruiqing couldn't bring himself to hold back on his words from distress.

Shen Ruiting was immediately infuriated as the fury threatened to make him faint: "So you do know that I'm the Marquis Donglin and not the emperor? Even Imperial Princes would face the same consequences when disobeying the law.  Second brother, do you take me as someone who's bigger and higher than the Heavens? That I could be allowed to be unscrupulous and pay no heed to the laws?"

"I..." Shen Ruiqing opened his mouth and murmured in a low voice: "You can go and beg the emperor."

"Beg the emperor? Are you disdaining that they can't die fast enough?" If possible, Shen Ruiting truly wanted to give him a slap across the face. A father bears responsibility for his son's misconducts. If the emperor were to know of this matter, none of them would be able to escape punishment. 

"Second brother..." Shen Ruiqing looked like he wanted to say something more when Shen Ruijiang tugged on his sleeves to stop him.

"Eldest brother's words are not without ground. Let's head back first. Yang'er, Xiao'er, you'll stay here temporarily. If Official Yang comes to question you, explain and confess what you should explain and confess. Cooperate with him. We will try out best to derive a way to get you out of here as soon as possible."

"What a good explain and confess what should be explained and confessed."

"Prince Consort!"

"Duke Duan!"

As their words just fell, another voice that didn't belong to any of them sounded. They group of people all turned their heads and saw that the Prince Consort Duan father-son pair had already descended into the prison cells and were standing there listening to them for no one knew how long. 

"Greetings to the Prince Consort. Greetings to Duke Duan!" After being momentarily stunned, Shen Ruiting hurriedly led the group to greet the two nobles. 

The Prince Consort didn't allow them to rise as he normally would. Rather he relayed in a low voice: "By the emperor's decree, Shen Xiao, son of the Marquis Donglin, and Shen Yang, nephew of the Marquis Donglin, born of affluent birth and children of an official, knew full well what isn't permissible by the law but still committed their crimes. Lack of ignorance will add one more charge to their crimes. Before the civil exams fraud case is closed and finalized, no one is allowed to visit them. No one is allowed to indulge in favoritism and bias in the judgement and rulings of those involved in the civil exams fraud case. The decree is as such!"

When they heard the decree, everyone felt stupefied, including Shen Ruiting. Shen Xiao and Shen Yang who had always thought their crimes weren't that severe were immediately frightened out of their wits. If visitation wasn't even allowed, then how was there any road for them to survive and live left at all?