Chapter 37

If a reputation was tarnished, there will always be opportunities to clean it up in the future. But if a crime or title was planted by someone with ulterior motives, there was rarely any chances of being whitewashed ever again even at the cost of one's life. Shen Liang's words appeared casual, as though it was just another dirty secret another noble family had, but if one is not careful, such talk could immediately become a sharp guillotine knife hanging over someone's head, threatening to descend. 

"This General has misspoken. It appears not only has the fifth young master changed but can also speak very sharply as well. The matter with the bandits has nothing to do with us siblings. The fifth young master should watch your words and think twice before tarnishing us two siblings' reputations." Liu Wenjin fought hard to restrain himself as he but the back of his teeth. Every word was forced from his lips.

"Right. Haven't they already been silenced? Of course the truth will simply be what the Marquis Madame and General Liu make it to be," Shen Liang wasn't so naive as to think he could force the truth out of this man and make him pay for his crimes. After, he simply changed the topic, "It's useless to concern ourselves with matters that can no longer be proven anymore. Wasn't the General prepared to search my carriage?" But with Shen Liang's previous words and laid foundation, even if Liu Wenjin had the imperial documentations to prove he was simply carrying out his duty, Liu Wenjin wouldn't dare to search Shen Liang's carriage. Not unless he no longer values his own life. These aggrieved feelings, no matter how he wanted to refuse it, he still has to suffer it!

"....." Liu Wenjin's eyes revealed deep-rooted hatred. His gaze was like poisonous needles being pinned on Shen Liang but after a moment, he had to wave his hands, "Let them leave."

"Yes," the other party was after all the Marquis's legitimate heir. His demeanor was very imposing as well and the onlookers could all tell that their leader was in a disadvantageous position. The soldiers didn't dare procrastinate and hurriedly cleared the path.

"Haha... it seems like General Liu never had the imperial decree and doesn't dare to visit the Capital Magistrate's Office with me," with a smile that could make even a lotus pale in color, Shen Liang returned to his carriage and completely ignored the terrifying uproar his words would cause.

"General...." even until Shen Liang's carriage disappeared behind the curtain of rain, Liu Wenjin never responded. His expression was dark, and his eyes were filled with misery. The soldiers under his leadership trembled as they had all heard Shen Liang's earlier words. Regardless of whether or not it was true, Shen Liang's words were sufficient to impeach him by tomorrow's court session if handled badly. Especially concerning was the matter with the bandits as well. The Elder Princess and the General Duan would never give up on rooting out the perpetrators involved with the young prince's kidnapping. 

"Return," with another wave of his arm, Liu Wenjin turned his horse back sullenly and led his soldiers away quickly.

"Can the one surnamed Liu be any more shameless? Just him and he thinks he's qualified to call himself your uncle? He's clearing wanting to tarnish your reputation. This is simply too over the bounds! Liangliang, how can you just let him go like that. You should've just dragged him to the Capital Magistrate's Office. We'll see then exactly how he intends to explain and justify his actions."

On the other side, in the carriage, Qi Yue was still angry with red eye rims. Clearly Liangliang never took did anything to provoke this. Why won't those people just let him go?

"Since you're aware of how shameless he can be, what's the use in being so angry with them?" Shen Liang smiled with amusement as he passed over his handkerchief. 

Qi Yue still found himself unable to let the matter slide, "How can I not be angry? I've never seen such a shameless person."

"Alright now. Don't be angry anymore. In the future, we will encounter things like this more than once. How will it do if you cry like this every time? Be careful about ruining your eyes then." Shen Liang was also angry, but he wouldn't let himself suffer from it in suffocation. It wasn't worth it. He'd take it out on others, and let the other party suffer in silence instead.

"Liangliang, why didn't we drag them to the Capital Magistrate's Office?"

There was another one among them who was even more angry. Qi Xuan's voice could be heard from outside and Shen Liang couldn't help himself from laughing.

"Do the two of you sincerely believe he lacks the documentations? The Grand Master's Palace being the target of thievery has put the whole city under search by the emperor. If he stubbornly insisted that he was unaware who we were before pulling us to a stop and demanding to search our carriage, what can we do? Don't forget that we've only just returned to the Imperial City. What will others think if we end up at the Capital Magistrate's Office twice in ten days? Besides, I'm a Ger. The moment my reputation is ruined, how do you expect me to still marry in the future? Those at the Marquis Manor would be delighted."

More importantly, with Shen Ruiting's attitude and hating that he couldn't kill him the moment he was born, the moment Shen Liang's reputation was ruined, Shen Liang was afraid the man would directly "marry" him out to a trafficker and cut off all relationships with him to prevent Shen Da's reputation from suffering as well. 

Thinking of this, Shen Liang's gaze turned cold and his already aching head seemed to hurt even more. 

"I'm sorry. We didn't think far enough," with his words, Qi Yue realized that he had been too impulsive. Guilt rose within him. Thank goodness Shen Liang directly taught him how what was the appropriate way to address the issue and opened his world views. He was still too naive. Decisions made by impulse would only threaten to ruin Liangliang and the elder young master's futures and reputations.

"But that's not right Liangliang. If that's the case, why didn't Liu Wenjin dare to go to the Capital Magistrate's Office with you?" It was rare for Qi Xuan to catch on so quickly. 

Shen Liang leaned back in the carriage with a light smile, "Who knows. Perhaps he was momentarily muddle-headed? After all, the Elder Princess still hasn't relented on investigating what happened with the bandits."

Shen Liang didn't tell the truth. He knew why Liu Wenjin didn't dare to pay a visit to the Capital Magistrate's Office with him. It allowed him to act so unscrupulously, but there was no need for him to tell Qi Yue and Qi Xuan the reason.

"He deserves it. Hopefully it p*sses him off!" his words were a bit childish, but it didn't sound so strange coming from Qi Xuan's mouth.

"Liangliang, say, if this matter was to reach the Marquis's ears..."after regaining his composure, Qi Yue started to worry again. When the marquis sent him to the countryside, the excuse he gave the public was that Shen Liang's health wasn't well. After all, he held a high position in court and if it was made known to the public that the marquis actually trusted such witchcraft, memorials to impeach him would reach the roof on the emperor's desk. Although since his return, it was evident that Shen Liang wasn't banished to the courtyard because of any illness, there has never been any confirmation on the exact reasoning he was sent away though and no one took the matter seriously and worthy of investigation. However, Shen Liang himself gave an answer today. It would only be surprising if the marquis's reputation didn't plummet after this event.

"So what?" in the end, what more can he do other than heading over to the Zhonglin Courtyard to give him a scolding? He was already used to it. His elder brother had already been forced out. What did the Marquis Manor and the Marquis himself's reputation matter to Shen Liang?