Chapter 128

As one of the largest temples in the Qin Empire, be it whether its architecture or the area it encompassed, none of it was lackluster. The monks of Xiangguo temple were not to be looked down on either, with each and every one of them known throughout the empire. The Buddha statues inside were gilded with lifelike features. The money Xiangguo Temple received from donations were more than any other temple. 

By the time the Shen Family finally arrived at the top of the mountain, it was already past noon due to their severe delay.

"Fellow guests, please come and stay in the south chamber to rest for a while. The meals will be delivered to your rooms shortly," a young novice monk with delicate features clasped his hands together and made a gesture of invitation at the end of his words. 

The old madame's previous and accustomed expression of disdain and disgust was immediately swept away as she donned an amicable expression, "We've troubled you, young master. Could I inquire if Master Zhenming is here?"

"Replying to the benefactor, Master Zhenming is currently greeting the Imperial Princes and the Duke of Qingping. If there is anything the benefactor wishes to convey, this monk can pass it along to Master Zhenming."

"Since it is like that, then we won't trouble the young master anymore."

"Please, benefactors."

After the old madame and the young monk's exchange, the young monk led to turn left and after traveling for a short amount of time, they arrived in a magnificent wooden courtyard. "This place is named Haitang Court and stands as the largest courtyard within the south chamber. Female benefactors can reside here while I take the other two young male benefactors to reside in the Dongmei Court neighboring close by. Will that be alright?" The young monk gestured at Haitang Court before pointing at the courtyard next door.

"We've troubled the young master," the old madame raised a hand to her chest and bowed slightly. 

The young monk repaid her respects: "Since it's been settled, then I will leave the benefactors be."

"Xiao San, Xiao Wu, the two of you will reside in Dongmei Court the," after sending away the young monk, the old madame's face immediately changed. After she finished her words, she led the others the other female relatives into Haitang Court. Shen Liang looked at the three buildings in Haitang Court. A light flickered in his gaze before he peered at the guards and maids who all trailed after the old madame's entourage. In the end, only Shen Liang, Shen Hui, and Lei Zhen were left outside, with a dim light in their eyes that deepened. 

"Fifth brother, why don't we head over?" Shen Hui peered at Shen Liang with some restraint, as though he was slightly afraid of Shen Liang. His gaze could not stay on Shen Liang for long as though he was afraid of looking at him.

Shen Liang looked at him until he noticed that Shen Hui's palms were saturated with cold sweat. He looked very uneasy. Only then did Shen Liang retract his gaze and said lightly, "Third brother, no one can choose their birth, but we are all the rulers of our own fate. Did you think that with Shen Yang's demise, the second family will place their hopes in you instead? Don't lie to yourself. Without Shen Yang, there's still a Shen Wang. You should be clearer than I am on what kind of person second aunt is. Choose your future path well."

After he delivered his warning, without care for Shen Hui's response, Shen Liang led Lei Zhen away, leaving Shen Hui where he stood, dumbfounded and with his head lowered. Shortly afterwards, his hands that hung by his sides clenched in tight fists. His gaze filled with ruthlessness, mixed with saturated resentment and burning ambition. He wasn't wrong. One can't choose their own birth, but everyone is the ruler of their own fate. The path he chose for himself would be one in which he would be able to step on everyone in the second family beneath his feet. Before that, it was necessary to sweep aside all obstacles that would stand in his way.