Chapter 56

The competition between Jing Xiran and Pei Yuanxian ultimately drew a close on curtains with Jing Xiran's defeat. He also generously donated a beautiful antique. With the two's participation, the banquet became more lively. Some young ladies and masters who were originally concerned with their families' reputations gradually relaxed and also went up to the stage on after the other. However, rather than being concerned with the outcome of the duel, they were more concerned with displaying their talents and skills to their best potential. Hence, the situation with Shen Liang and the Jiang daughter didn't repeat itself anymore.

Perhaps it was because the Jiang daughter served as a horrendous example of what would ensue, but for the next few hours, no one challenged Shen Liang again. He was also able to relax and gradually escape the gazes of many guests.

"The Young Lady's calligraphy just now was beautiful. The other madames were simply raving about it."

"Isn't that so? Our Young Lady's calligraphy and accounting is simply the best."

"Best? Who are you kidding? Haven't you heard many of them secretly commenting on how the ninth Young Lady's four classic couldn't compare to the fifth Young Master's painting?"

"Lu Zhi, what are you saying?"

"Did I say something wrong? I didn't say the ninth Young Lady's calligraphy was bad. Didn't you see that the fifth Young Lady herself doesn't seem that happy?"

As the banquet was halfway through, it was inevitable that some people would need to handle their physical urgencies. Perhaps it was due to coincidence, and perhaps it was intentional, but Shen Jing and Shen Qiang's maids began to quarrel outside. However, Lu Zhi then walked off triumphantly, and no disturbances was caused. However, Shen Jing's two maids stood there, embarrassed and pitiful. 

"Was your family's Young Lady truly not that happy?" a voice of inquiry suddenly sounded. 

The two maids turned around and immediately bowed their knees, "Greetings to Young General Ling."

Young General Ling's birth name was Ling Yucheng. He was the eldest son of the General Ling, and had traveled with his father to the borders and through battlefields since a young age. Two years prior, the father-son pair headed to battle and forced the enemies to retreat and pushed their empire's border further outward by several thousand miles outward. Afterwards, he was immediately instated to be a fourth-tier General by the emperor. Such a title couldn't be considered high-ranking, but the man himself was still young and had a promising future ahead of him. But what was even more intriguing was him discarding his title of General and directly enrolling into Tianmen Academy. Since then, he was said to have fallen in love with Shen Jing at first sight, claiming the young lady was both talented and beautiful. Young General Ling became one of Shen Jing's more infamous admirers since.

"En. Was what she said true? Was your family's Young Lady truly upset because of Shen Liang?" Ling Yucheng nodded perfunctorily and gazed at the two maids with his pair of amber, tiger eyes. He originally had no impressions on Shen Liang. At most, he was at most, indifferent towards the name. But since he had made Shen Jing unhappy, then Ling Yuchen couldn't just let it be.

"This..."

The two servants looked at the man as though they were forced into a difficult position. They then lowered their heads unanimously, as if acquiescing. 

"Tell your family's Young Master that I will serve justice for her," seeing this, Ling Yucheng stroded back to the main hall. What he remained oblivious to was the two maids' meaningful glances that the two of them shared with one another.

"Young Miss, everything has already been planned," once returning, one of the two young maids whispered in Shen Jing's ear.

"En," Shen Jing nodded her head and reached for a teacup to cover over the smile toying with her lips. Yes, everything was deliberately schemed by her, including having her two maids praise her skills before Lu Zhi and provoking her target. Shen Qiang had always been an arrogant girl, and had always looked down on her and Shen Qiao. Her maids naturally inherited her temper and character. They wouldn't stand by and see Shen Jing in the limelight more so than Shen Qiang. Looking at the people present, the only person who can be brought out to provoke them would inevitably be Shen Liang.