Chapter 22

"Fifth young master, your attires have already been retrieved. Will you try it on?"

As the atmosphere in Feiyu Pavilion gradually became tense and awkward, the clever shopkeeper rushed forward with the gowns Shen Liang had ordered custom-made. He inquired Shen Liang with a pleasant reminder. Such a person was a businessman and an employee. Not one businessman would like their franchise and shop to be accustomed with anything messy and complicated.

"Alright," with his purpose achieved, Shen Liang had no intentions to continue his pretense and barb with Shen Qiao: "Eight sister, is there isn't anything else, I will pardon myself to try my orders now."

"En. Alright."

The hand that gripped onto her handkerchief clenched tighter. Shen Qiao nodded unnaturally as Shen Liang was led away by the shopkeeper. Shen Liang and his group of three headed to the back of the shop. With Feiyu Pavilion's products, there was hardly anything to complain about, whether it was in terms of color or size. Shen Liang didn't try his gowns on. Instead, he only had Qi Yue and Qi Xuan try their attires on. Meanwhile, he ordered another set of attires for the two boys along with some jade belt and accessories. 

"Fifth young master, the rest of your orders will require a few more days to complete. Adding on the additional requests made for these two gentlemen, I will have someone deliver it to the Manor."

Only three days had passed, and only one out of all the custom orders Shen Liang had made was completed. An entire fabric of cloth can make several attires and clothing. The shopkeeper accepted the money with a flattering smile as he notified Shen Liang of the current situation. Shen Liang nodded his head, "Alright. When the time comes, have the order directly delivered to my Zhonglin Courtyard. There's no need to interact and hand them to the people to the Marquis Manor."

After, Shen Liang stood up. Qi Yue and Qi Xuan, who had finished trying on their attires, packed up and carried the items they had just purchased. The shopkeeper personally saw them off. Shen Qiao was also no longer there. Shen Liang suspect she couldn't bear to stay any longer and returned home to cry. 

"Liangliang, it's getting late. We should return."

The three of them then took to carriage to pay a visit to the largest apothecary shop in Imperial City to buy some herbs and medicinal ingredients. Along the way, Shen Liang vaguely overheard the news that some bandits who had been captured and imprisoned committed suicide. Shen Liang was more or less stunned to hear the news. Stunned, not because the Liu Family were able to escape this predicament, but rather Pei Yuanxian actually allowed them to simply "commit suicide due to fear of punishment." However, Shen Liang was oblivious to Pei Yuanxian's lack of participation in the capture and interrogation of the bandits altogether. 

"No, let's head to the Taisen House. We'll dine there," Shen Liang shook his head as he leaned back with closed eyes. Liu Wenjin was only an Imperial City governor. His position was only of the fourth tier. No matter how useless Pei Yuanxian was, it was implausible for the bandits to commit suicide just like that. It couldn't be that the Liu Family had already colluded with Qin Yunshen now? In his previous life, it was only after marrying Qin Yunshen that Shen Liang realized the Liu Family were Qin Yunshen's people. However, he never knew exactly when the Family had started their collusion with Qin Yunshen.

"En," seeing that Shen Liang's brows revealed some fatigue and weariness in its furrow, Qi Yue didn't refute. He lifted the curtain and notified Qi Xuan of their plans before returning into the carriage to look at Shen Liang. From the previous days' worth of interaction, he could sense Shen Liang's difference. He was also aware that there were many matters Shen Liang was keeping from him. In the beginning, they would ask and in matters Shen Liang wished to reveal and share, he would respond honestly, but with matters Shen Liang had no intentions of revealing, his responses only proceeded to confuse him and Qi Xuan more and more until even they didn't know what was true and what was false. In the end, they stopped asking altogether. As long as Shen Liang was still their Liangliang, nothing else mattered much. 

Taisen House was one of the largest restaurants in Imperial City. It was a franchise that had a branch in all four regions of Imperial City. Shen Liang was dressed in plain and poorly made gown. He immediately captured the attention of other customers, but Shen Liang didn't mind. He requested a private box room from the waiter and proceeded to follow the waiter to their room on the second floor. When the dishes arrived, rather than eating, Shen Liang instead opened the package he had brought from the carriage. 

"Liangliang, what are you doing?" Qi Yue and Qi Xuan peered at him with curiosity as they watch him take out the set of gray cotton clothes from the package.

"I still have some matters to handle and need to step out. The two of you will remain here and finish eating. Remember, do not allow anyone to step into this room," after changing, Shen Liang retied his hair and covered his face. Immediately, Shen Liang became a pageboy. 

"Head out? We'll go with you," when they heard he was going to leave, Qi Yue and Qi Xuan also stood up. Shen Liang immediately stopped them.

"Yue Ge, Xuan Ge, neither of you shall come. I don't know if there are anyone following or monitoring us, but we must proceed with caution. The two of you must stay to cover my disappearance. Rest assured, I will not be far from here and will return soon."

"But..." they still couldn't rest assured. After all, from his appearance, Shen Liang was still a young boy, who was weak and easy to bully. Even though from the events that had happened during the past several days, the two were aware that Shen Liang wasn't as weak as he seemed, they still couldn't rest assured.

"There is no but. Qi Yue, Qi Xuan, this is an order," Shen Liang's eyes immediately turned strict and solemn, and his gaze turned sharp and penetrating. 

"Liang..." the two were clearly startled. Qi Xuan wanted to say something but was held back by Qi Yue. Qi Yue shook his head at him before turning to face Shen Liang, "Alright. Then you must be careful, Liangliang."

Liangliang was no longer the Liangliang from before. He had his own plans and ideas. They should learn to trust him. 

"En," Shen Liang nodded his head and didn't say much afterward. He turned around and leaned against the wall. After ascertaining that there was no one outside, he slid open the door and left. Qi Xuan wanted to follow but Qu Yue continued to hold onto him tightly. 

"Ge, Liangliang is still a child. What if-..."

"There is no what if. Xiao Xuan, excessive overprotection will only harm Liangliang in the long run. Besides, even if we follow him, we wouldn't be able to help him. We might as well stay here where we would be of use to him."

It was impossible to say they didn't feel defeated. The young master they had watched and protected growing up had matured. They themselves were starting to appear more and more useless. But they couldn't just resigned themselves to this. They needed to grow and mature with him.

"..." Qi Xuan's temperament had always been simple and impulsive. But he wasn't a fool. He could only seat himself back down without a word. After a while, he then raised his head to say, "Ge, I want to learn martial arts."

"En?" Qi Yue arched an eyebrow, but then soon responded, "Very well. Learning some martial foundation would protect you and prevent you from being bullied. We'll discuss this with Liangliang when we return. I should learn something as well. Otherwise, we'd only be left behind every time." 

They weren't afraid of toiling and hardships. They were only afraid of being abandoned by Shen Liang. The three of them had depended on each other and grew up together. They had long since became important figures and family in each other's life.