Chapter 9

Silence came with the night.

The Duke of Qingping Manor was the largest infrastructure in the eastern Imperial City. Except for the occasional howling of the wolves and roaring of lions, not a sound could be heard in the staggered courtyard. The reasoning was simple. At the young age of eighteen, besides all the frivolous activities young heirs of the Imperial City all partook in, while the Duke of Qingping excelled in such, whether it was drinking, eating, or gambling, what he was the most proficient in was hunting wild animals. The scarier, more ferocious, the better. Even the emperor couldn't control him, and everyone who saw him simply took a detour.

Qingping Residence, Pei Yuanxian's Courtyard.

Pei Yuanxian leaned lazily on his bed. His upper body was left bare and naked, revealing his wheat-colored skin and firm and powerful physique. Not an ounce of useless fat could be seen. The only pity was a wound more than ten centimeters long marring his seductive chest that was still bleeding heavily. The doctor changed the gauze once again as the middle-aged man who appeared to be the butler griped on endlessly.

"My Lord, Lord Qun personally ordered took his troops and left from the city."

Shortly afterwards, a strong, powerful shadow appeared. Pei Yuanxian who was leaning against the bed narrowed his eyes slightly. His slender fingers caressed through the furs of the red fox lying obediently on his shoulder, "Has why Shen Liang would know of Duan Yu being in the bandits' den been investigated and looked into?"

"Nothing has been discovered. Shen Liang's background cannot be anymore simpler. The only abnormality would be encounter between the madame of the Marquis Manor that morning. Those bandits are very likely to be in cahoots with the madame."

The man had his head slightly bowed, as though remorseful. How could it be possible that they were unable to discover anything, just based on the Ironclad Guard's capabilities? This was undoubtedly a considerable blow to their ego.

"Continue investigating. This Lord has heard that the madame of Lord Qun is looking into the corruption and fraud case recently?"

Pei Yuanxian did not question their capabilities, but instead inquired about other matters. The man peered up at him before responding, "Yes, it appears some strong evidence has already been retrieved and collected. The case is still under confidential status though and the information we've been able to derive has been very limited."

"It seems like some rations had been moved. Look into the maiden family of the Marquis madame."

The slightly narrowed eyes opened, and Pei Yuanxian said in a low voice, "Shen Liang is also Wei Zeqian's son. Perhaps the item may even be in Shen Liang's hands."

"This...isn't it highly improbable? Wei Zeqian passed away the moment Shen Liang was born. How was he able to pass the item to him? Besides, he's a Ger and would have to marry out sooner or later. For such an important item, even if Wei Zeqian was willing, the old General Wei can't possibly allow the item to fall in the hands of a Ger who would inevitably take on another man's surname."

"Is it important? Perhaps in their eyes, it doesn't amount to anything?"

"Your Highness means..."

The man didn't understand. Pei Yuanxian smiled and turned around, "This Lord recalled that the Wei Family's actions has always defied logic. Perhaps it's exactly because they don't care that no matter how we looked, we've never been able to find the item's whereabouts. This Lord has even considered perhaps we should pay a visit to the old general's manor and inquire for it directly. Maybe the old general would just hand it over without a second word?"

"..."

The man suddenly felt embarrassed and timid. His Lord's skin and face was just too...thick!

"How can ancestral inheritance be given out just like that. My Lord, you're too audacious."

After helping the doctor redress the wound, Butler Lin could look on any further and gave the young Duke a highly disdainful look. If he could, the man would nod his head vehemently in agreement. As expected of old Lin, not afraid at all to speak the honest truth. 

"That's the way it is."

Who in the Imperial City didn't know just how audacious and unrulyPei Yuanxian was? Was heading to an aristocratic family's family to request to see their ancestral treasures something that could be done with just a few words?

Pei Yuanxian didn't think much of it. His phoenix eyes held a dark and deep gaze. They narrowed again as he said, "Shen Liang not only needs to be kept a close eye on. Note down and look into his every actions as well."

"Yes."

The man bowed before disappearing in the blink of an eye. The physician had also finished dressing the wound, "Your Highness, this physician doesn't have much of the medicine left. You must seek out the antidote as soon as possible."

"En. This Lord understands. You're excused."

Pei Yuanxian waved his hand, clearly with no intentions to speak any more. The physician sighed and retreated helplessly.

"Understand? What do you understand? If you understood, how did you end up in this state. You clearly know you can't suffer any injuries but still end up covered in wounds. It's not that this old man wish to lecture you but you're already eighteen. Aren't you in any hurry to find yourself a madame? In case anything happens one day, you wouldn't even have an heir left. What face would you have to face the old Lord and madame? Alas! The old Lord's reputation was heard of all throughout. Just how did he end up with you, this unfilial son?"

The butler beside the pestle had began to gripe again. In the entire manor, it was only the old butler who dared to speak to Pei Yuanxian like this.

"Old Lin, this Lord needs to rest now."

Taking advantage of when the old butler wasn't looking, Pei Yuanxian quietly rolled his eyes. Since he was thirteen, that old butler has been griping that he needs to find a wife several times a day. Pei Yuanxian felt his ears were almost cocooned.

"Your Highness, you must tell me honestly. You haven't used that thing once in the eighteen years you've lived. Is it not capable?"

Not only has the butler not retreated, he actually proceeded forward with the intention to check his crotch. Pei Yuxanxian couldn't help but clamp his legs unnaturally, "This Lord is warning you, don't think of anything you shouldn't!"

What does he mean incapable?! Him not using it is simply because he hasn't found the person to use it with, alright? What was this old man who should've died but just won't thinking of?!

"Your Highness, don't be embarrassed. Such a condition should be treated as early as possible. If it's looked into too late, it would delay you for the rest of your life. Rest assured, this old slave won't let anyone else know of this matter. You just have to quietly let me know and entrust the rest to me. I'll ensure that it will be handled properly."

Ensuring it to you would be nothing short from the worst situation possible, alright?

Pei Yuanxian had been forcibly diagnosed with a certain dysfunction. The corners of his lips twitched as he called out, "Tianquan, throw this old Lin out for this Lord."

"Hey! Hey! Hey! You little b*stard. What are you doing to this old man? Stop it right this instance!"

No one knew where the man had materialized from, but he grabbed the back collar of old Butler Lin and began to drag him outside. The old butler Lin's face was red and puffed from aggravation as his limbs fought wildly and blindly. Right before he was thrown out, he didn't forget to call out, "Your Highness, if there's a dysfunction, it needs to be treated as soon as possible or it'll leave side effects and endless troubles!"

"You're the one who has the dysfunction!"

Pei Yuanxian called out angrily in response. After his ear swere finally relieved of the endless griping, he laid down weakly. The only thought the surfaced his mind before he could fall asleep was whether he should breed a seed for the old Lin. That old thing was getting on his nerves more and more!