Chapter 6

Shen Liang didn't have the Ironclad Guards escort him all the way to the Imperial City. Rather, less than a mile from the Imperial City, Shen Liang managed to Tianquan away. The three of them, master and servants drove the carriage and the cart filled with corpses through the city and frightened many people. The city soldiers were tempted to wield their weapons, but after realizing the situation and circumstances, the squad leader ordered a subordinate to report the matter to the Marquis Donglin Manor and personally escorted Shen Liang himself.

The Marquis Donglin Manor was located in the most prosperous quarters of the Imperial City. For Shen Liang to drag behind him a trail of blood and corpses, it was inevitable for the civilians to glance over with fear and curiosity, but afraid to draw near. When the entourage arrived at the Marquis Manor, Liu Shuhan had taken her daughter Shen Qiang and the line of servants to await at the front entrance.

"Madame."

The squad leader cupped his fist and saluted. Liu Shuhan's smile was unnatural. Her gaze involuntarily averted to the cart behind the carriage consistently but her expression concealed the hatred and frustration in her heart well. The Heaven knows just how shocked she was when she received the squad leader's report. How was that bastard Shen Liang able to escape?

"We'll have to trouble sir to remove the bodies behind."

Qi Yue and Qi Xuan removed the cover from both sides. Shen Liang raised the curtain and exited the carriage. He was donned in a plain attire and the injury on his arm was evident. Shen Liang easily stepped off the carriage and raised his arm without fear. His demeanor was calm and elegant. Without knowing any better, no one would guess this was someone who had been raised in the countryside. 

It was just Shi Liang didn't spare a single glance at the madame of the Marquis Manor who stood not far away.

"The fifth young master is too polite."

The squad leader waved a gesture and the soldiers unloaded the mutilated corpses. many were either dismembered or mutilated. It was laid in a bloody line before Liu Shuhan. Regardless of how much pretense Liu Shuhan was able to uphold, even she could not help her face from paling at such a sight. Shen Qiang, who had been awaiting with her hid behind Liu Shuhan in fright. Regardless of how cruel and scheming the women behind the courtyards were, it was still rare if ever for them to see such a sight.

"This one has already sent someone to the Capital Prefecture to record the case. Seeing that the fifth young master has been escorted safely to the manor, this one will excuse himself."

"Take care!"

Shen Liang courteously cupped his fist as way of seeing him off.

"Fifth young master? Since when has the Marquis Donglin Manor had a fifth young master?"

"Perhaps an illegitimate son? Take a look at his plain attire? Even the servants within the manor dress better than him."

"Doesn't the Marquis Donglin Manor not have any illegitimate children at all? I heard the marquis's relationship with the madame is deep and affectionate. He's unwilling to allow any concubines and their respective children to ruin their relationship."

"Then is this fifth young master from the second or third family? But that's not right. If he's from the second or third family, how is it possible that the madame herself would come out to greet him herself? In contrast, those from the second and third family are nowhere in sight."

"The waters within the aristocratic families are deep. How is it possible for us civilians to fathom? Take a look at those corpses. Who knows just what conspiracies are involved."