Chapter 60

First time touching a bow?

Ling Yucheng expressed his doubts but didn't pursue the matter with him relentlessly. After all, the two of them weren't that familiar with one another.

"If possible, I'd rather be your friend than your enemy." Being Shen Liang's enemy was too frightening.

He had been all too clear that although he was not a fool, Ling Yucheng was also clear that he was not a shrewd person either. What he has always relied on was his beastlike instincts and intuition, which told him that being Shen Liang's friend would bring him better happiness than being Shen Liang's enemy.

"If you are incapable of seeing through someone's true face, then I'm afraid we can never be friends," Shen Liang stated meaningfully with the corners of his lips raised.

"What do you mean?" Ling Yucheng scowled. 

But Shen Liang no longer paid him any attention. He passed by Ling Yucheng, clasped his hands together and stated: "Elder Princess, Duke Duanjun, although it was not my intent, but both times that I was challenged have incurred displeasure. I am truly sorry and to express my apology, I am willing to donate out a thousand shi *one shi = 100 litres* of grains. Asking the Elder Princess and Duke Duanjun to excuse and forgive me."

As his words fell, the hall fell into uproar once again. A thousand shi of grains. For the wealthy and affluent families, it was indeed not a big sum, but who didn't wasn't clear on Shen Liang's situation? The monthly allowance for most heirs of affluent families, at most, could only amount to a hundred taels. Where did he gain the capital to buy so much grains? In addition, because of the heavy rains, the price of every day goods within the Imperial City only continued to increase day by day. A thousand shi of grains was not an easy feat. Besides, although it was true the challenges Shen Liang was involved in were a unpleasant, strictly speaking, it had nothing to do with Shen Liang. Why did he have to pay out of pocket to apologize?

"This child is sincere and righteous. He excels in talents at such a young age and what is even more commendable is his compassion. Not bad. The Marquis Donglin Manor has been blessed with a good younger generation," Elder Xie stroked his goatee and praised Shen Liang without hesitation. 

Elder Master Zeng and Zhao who shared the same table as the elder nodded their head in succession as well. They understood full well that Shen Liang was only borrowing the name of apologizing to donate the goods.

With the three respected elders' words, who dared to say otherwise. But the position of the Shen Family members inevitably fell into an awkward situation, especially Shen Ruiting. If anyone were to ask who became the most prominent figure after today's occasion, then without a doubt, it was Shen Liang. With his performance, it gained face for the Marquis Donglin Manor, but he never looked at this son of his favorably before. In fact, he even wished he could never see this child of his. But now Shen Liang had gained the approval of many people present and even won the praises of the three elders, Shen Ruiting felt inexplicably complicated and obscure. He didn't know what to do with this son of his who had caused the death of his beloved wife in the future.

"Not bad. You do not embarrass Wei Zeqian. This Princess will accept your one thousand shi of grains," the Elder Princess who have not spoken for a long time finally stood up and walked before Shen Liang. The Prince Consort followed behind. With her mention of only Wei Zetian and no mention of the Marquis Donglin Manor, those from the manor, including Shen Ruiting were angry but dared not to voice their complaints.

"Here is proof of payment for a thousand shi of grains from the Murong Family's rice shop. The Elder Princess only needs to send someone over with this statement to collect the grains," even though the other party was a noble princess of the Imperial Family, Shen Liang's actions did not humble himself any further than courtesy necessitates. He handed over the proof with both hands in a respectful and dignified manner.