Chapter 121

Shen Liang's fear wasn't unfounded. In reality, not only him, but Pei Yuanxian was no different as well. Besides those senior brothers of his, Jing Xiran was the only person from the entire Imperial City who Pei Yuanxian could be considered even relatively close with. His unique identity made it inevitable that he would stand against the Imperial Family one day. As for the noble families, which one of them weren't loyal to the Imperial Family? The more friends they had now, the more difficult their future plans would be to carry out. It was best for them to leave themselves with less to consider. 

"Xiran appears gentle and elegant on the surface. Before others, he has always been a gentleman but he's a very cold man. It would be hard to warm him up. As children of noble families, even their own parents would find it hard to control their marriage. As the son of Marquis Huaiyang, Xiran is no different. He doesn't hold any expectations for his other half. It would be easier to wait until the sky pours red rain than to wait for Xiran to be willing to do anything to marry Xiang Zhuo and no one else."

Holding his hand, Pei Yuanxian lowered his eyes as his caressed his lips. Normally, a monarch wouldn't be so stringent and controlling over the children of the nobles, but this emperor wasn't a normal person. He held a firm and tight grip on their marriages which was why although the empire's law set fifteen to be the marriageable age, but Jing Xiran and the others still haven't married yet.

"It seems like Xiang Zhuo is fated to be disappointed."

Shen Liang wasn't surprised by such appraisal the least bit. Who made Jing Xiran and Qin Yunshen so similar in their habits of covering themselves up with their gentle pretenses? He was only too familiar with those kinds of people and both feared and respected them.

"Perhaps. But this lord has always considered myself a cold person before as well. I never had any intentions of marrying either. But now, am I not someone who's determined to marry you and no one else?" Raising his gaze, Pei Yuanxian met his gaze with a smile. They were cold-hearted because they hadn't met a person who could warm their hearts up before. But the moment they do, even an iceberg would melt.

"You sure don't miss any opportunity to express your sincerity," Shen Liang was amused by him and laughed. He then leaned over to kiss his cheeks: "This one will reward you then. Continue to work hard in the future."

"This one? You really take yourself to be the Empress?" Pei Yuanxian was in a good mood.

Shen Liang was evidently in a mischievous one as well. He stuck out his tongue before stating matter-of coursely, "The Empress's position is mine to begin with. If this life's Emperor isn't you, I wouldn't mind considering the position of Emperor as well."

"This lord just likes Wangfei's ambitions and how you make them sound righteously yours." Shen Liang's gaze told him he wasn't joking. Pei Yuanxian captured a hint of arrogance in them. It was as though anything he wanted and liked, he would grasp into his hands through any and all means. Be it gods or demons, those who stood in his way, he would eradicate. Pei Yuanxian also believed that as long as Shen Liang was given a springboard, even if it was the person in the palace, Shen Liang would dare to step on and kick without hesitation.

This kind of Liangliang charmed Pei Yuanxian more so than Shen Liang's face!

"Is a person without ambition still considered a person?" Everyone had ambitions. The difference only lied in how big or small. When he knew Pei Yuanxian's identity, Shen Liang knew then that the title of Empress would be his. If Pei Yuanxian betrayed him, then Shen Liang would kick him off directly and occupy the throne himself. Gers were also males. Why shouldn't they have the qualifications to be emperors? If there were no precedence, he wouldn't mind becoming the first.