Chapter 95

"The Emperor is in route. Idlers, give the way!" In the heavy rain, the emperor's guards of honor and entourage stretched at least ten meters in length as they headed to the Duke of Qingping Palace with drums and gongs, as though they were afraid the common people wouldn't know about the emperor braving the rain to visit the Duke of Qingping. How could the common people see such an excitement on a regular day? Even with the rain, many common folks trailed behind the entourage cautiously and looked from afar. 

As for the Duke of Qingping Palace, the front gates were wide open. Two concentrated rows of Ironclad Guards, clad in black armor stood upright in an orderly fashion painted a majestic image at the front gates, even in the rain. Old Lin and Tianshu stood in the center holding umbrellas. 

"The emperor is here!" accompanied by the eunuch's shrill announcement, the front line of guards of honor fanned out from both sides. The Imperial Guards stepped forward and created a line straight to the front of the manor. Several luxurious and gorgeous carriages trailed after.

"Greetings and respects to the emperor's arrival. Blessings to the emperor!" Old Lin and Tianshu casted their umbrellas aside and knelt on one knee simultaneously. The royal golden carriage curtains lifted and with the aid of the well-trained eunuchs, the emperor, who was well in his old age but only appeared to be in his fifties stepped down from his Imperial carriage. The maids extended and opened the umbrellas at just the right time. The carriages that followed behind also pulled to a stop one after another as the three cabinet elders, the grand master, and the five ministers stepped out as well respectively one after another. With Wen Yuan still under investigation, the original six departments were missing one member. 

"All rise," the emperor stood up slowly and waved his hand. Old Lin and Tianshu stood up. Within the short while, their clothes were already soaked. "The rain outside is heavy and severe. Please come on in, Your Majesty. The Masters."

"Very well," the emperor nodded his head and swept a gaze over the two lines of Ironclad Guards imperceptibly. He entered the Duke of Qingping Palace with one hand led by the eunuch. 

The luxury and majesty of the Palace of the Duke of Qingping was something few hadn't heard of, but few had actually ever experienced and seen it for themselves. Throughout history. every generation of Duke of Qingping preferred quietness and avoided banquets and liveliness. However, when Pei Yuanxian came to assume the title, he had even replaced his servants with the majestic Ironclad Guards. Throughout the entire manor, not a single woman could be seen, much less a guest. 

With Old Lin and Tianshu's leadership. the entourage slowly traversed into the depths of the Duke of Qingping Palace. The officials couldn't help but marvel at the exquisite architecture, intricately carved beams, and painted buildings. The decorations were magnificent and luxurious. The only one who remained indifference was perhaps the emperor as this wasn't his first time here. But whether he harbored other thoughts, that was another matter that of itself. 

"Your Majesty, please order them to stay outside," after a quarter of an hour passed, the entourage had finally arrived at the main courtyard where Pei Yuanxian resided. There were also two lines of Ironclad Guards who surrounded the main residency. Old Lin and Tianshu each cupped their fists respectively as he swept a gaze over the court ladies, eunuchs, and ministers pointedly. Even if forced by the situation, they were not qualified to step inside Pei Yuanxian's quarters.

"You will all remain behind," the emperor waved his hand and took the lead to enter the room. "How is Yuanxian's condition? How did it become so grave?"

"How can it not? It can't be that we're cursing the duke? He's been in a coma for an entire day and night now. We can't stop the blood that flows from his wound. Just look at that complexion. How is he any different from a dead man?" Old Lin, who trailed behind the emperor into the room wiped his tears as he pointed at Pei Yuanxian, who lied on the bed motionlessly. His previous solemness had dissipated without a trace and was instead replaced by a dramatic soap opera scene. If the ironclad Guards weren't already accustomed to Old Lin's character, they might've been unable to hold it in and already burst into laughter.