Chapter 36

Due to the rain, there weren't many pedestrians outside. Those that came and went were all carriages. However, many from inside the nearby shops peered out the window to look with curiosity. They would then soon retract their heads though. It was only instinct to fear for their own lives. Since the government officials were on duty, at the very most, civilians might dare to look but didn't dare to voice objections. 

"So what if it is the Marquis Donglin's carriage? We abide only by the Imperial decree. Even if it's the duke or princess herself, they would have to get off the carriage!" the little soldier's voice and words were very imposing and the man on the horse didn't stop him either. It could be considered a silent acquiescence from his leader. 

"You..."

"Qi Xuan!" Qi Xuan was evidently angered and Shen Liang called out to stop him from continuing. Soon after, the curtains of the carriage were lifted and Shen Liang ducked down to exit the carriage. He looked up and met the gaze of the man on horseback. After several days of resting and eating well, Shen Liang's originally beautiful features became more prominent and delicate. Despite his simple and plain attire, his beauty was stunning. Coupled with his demeanor and aura that wasn't simple in the least bit, the man on horseback narrowed his eyes as his pupils dilated and sparkled brilliantly.

Liu Wenjin?!

Shen Liang recognized the man on horseback with one glance as Liu Shuhan's elder brother. Shen Liang's eyes flashed. He could already guess why his carriage was targeted. The matter with the bandits had only escalated and Liu Wenjin most likely couldn't force himself to sit still anymore. Perhaps he was here to sound Shen Liang out. As for how he was able to find and stop Shen Liang's carriage out of so many so accurately, didn't Liu Wenjin have "spies" in the Marquis Manor? How was it possible for his leaving the manor to completely escape Liu Shuhan's notice?

Although thoughts swirled in his mind at a frightening speed, Shen Liang's gaze didn't rest on Liu Wenjin for more than a second. In the blink of an eye, his calm gaze swept over the troop of soldiers present one by one: "To dare to even stop a duke and princess's carriage, your troop sure is pompous. This one is Shen Liang, the legitimate heir of the Marquis Donglin Manor. I have no objection if you are only carrying out the orders of the Imperial decree, but please display the official documents first."

Shen Liang pretended not to know Liu Wenjin smoothly. His imposing manner and righteousness placed him on a high moral standing. Was it appropriate to inspect a Ger's carriage just like that? If this matter was spread, wouldn't it be synonymous with him throwing his reputation away? For Liu Wenjin to find trouble with him so deliberately, it was evident he had other intentions in mind. After all, the Elder Princess's banquet would be held in a few more days and such an incident can be considered a warning for Shen Liang to watch what he says before the Elder Princess.

If this was his previous life, Shen Liang would undoubtedly retreat and take one step back. But as for now, since this man presented himself before Shen Liang to be cut down, Shen Liang had no reason to object in delivering what this man needed. 

"It can't be that you're Xiao Wu?"

The soldiers were startled and couldn't react, but Liu Wenjin's previous solemn seriousness immediately turned into a smile as he looked at Shen Liang.

Shen Liang gaze slowly turned back onto him. He arched an eyebrow as he said, "I am unfamiliar with this general. As for Xiao Wu this title which only belongs to those close to me, I do not believe it's appropriate for this general to address me by. Unless this general intends to tarnish my reputation with ulterior motives?"

Sharp and imposing. That was the only feeling Shen Liang gave those present.

"Haha....Xiao Wu, don't misunderstand. It's only natural for you to not recognize me. This general's surname is Liu with the name of Wenjin. I am the elder brother of the Marquis Madame. I could be considered your uncle."

Liu Wenjin raised his head and laughed. His tone could be considered intimate and friendly despite his initial shock by Shen Liang's calm and sharp retort.

"Uncle?" Shen Liang arched an eyebrow as blatant satire stained his gaze. "My dad's surname is Wei and his status is the Wei Family's eldest child. This general claim to be surnamed Liu and still dare to also claim to be my uncle?"

His words were merciless and offered no chance of reprieve. Liu Wenjin's facade and friendly smile immediately stiffened.

"If this General Liu wishes to inspect the carriage, please present the imperial documentations. Otherwise, I reserve the right to refuse the inspections. At worst, perhaps the two of us can pay the Capital Magistrate's Office a visit together?"

Just him and he still thinks he has the qualifications to claim to be his uncle?

Shen Liang didn't give him the opportunity to react. He once again turned the matter back onto the inspection. Seeing Shen Liang capable of retorting back with ease, Qi Yue and Qi Xuan's ugly complexion recovered by quite a considerable degree. 

"Xiao Wu has really changed from when you were younger," with a firm gaze, Liu Wenjin forced out through gritted teeth. Shen Liang's words not only accused him of being one-sidedly intimate and thinking too much, but also mocked the Liu Family's humble status compared to the Wei Family. When his sister first told him how Shen Liang had become solemn and frightening, Liu Wenjin didn't believe her at first. He even naively thought how frightening could a fifteen-year-old young boy with no foundations be? But from today's exchange, Liu Wenjin could not help but affirm that this little b*stard had indeed grown to be quite vicious. 

"It's impossible for people to remain unchanged. Thinking back, the current Marquis Madame was nothing more than a small concubine who had to bow and greet my dad with respect. The moment my dad passed away; she immediately took advantage of her relationship as niece of the old madame to step into the madame seat. At the same time, she found a swindling Taoist priest to slander my constitution and accuse me of being a cursed child who caused my own dad's death. If it weren't for my brother Shen Da, I'm afraid I would've been killed by my own father's hands the moment I was born."

"For the next ten years, besides Shen Qiang, no other child was conceived in the Marquis Manor. Five years later, the madame found another Taoist priest and once again splashed dirty water on me, who was only ten at that time. What did he say? That my constitution affected the concubines' ability to conceive and only by banishing me to the countryside can such curse be alleviated from the Marquis Manor. Not only did such a prediction successfully force me to the countryside, but also successfully forced my eldest brother, the righteous eldest son and heir of the Marquis Manor to leave. And what conspired? Us brothers have left for five years now but I don't see the marquis blessed with another child. What was the saying? True gold will inevitably shine sooner or later. If it wasn't because my elder brother is capable and was able to rely on himself to achieve what he has thus far, who in the Imperial City would still remember us two brothers? Who would still recall that we are the legitimate children of the Marquis Manor." 

When speaking of the past, Shen Liang wasn't able to conceal his rising emotions. He paused to restrain his emotions before continuing again, "For the Marquis Madame to be so prone to change, how could you expect anything different a child like me? And you, General Liu, I heard the matter with the bandits cannot escape your and the madame's intervention. In addition, this road is permeated with carriages, but you have only stopped my carriage. Your soldiers keep chanting about a search, but as a Ger, if the matter about my carriage being searched was spread around Imperial City, how do you still expect me to still show my face in public?"

From the very beginning, Shen Liang never had any intentions of lowering his head. Since Liu Wenjing had the audacity to bring the troops over to search his carriage, then Shen Liang wasn't afraid of tearing down all facades and face. From today on, the brother-sister pair can forget about living peacefully!