Chapter Sixty

How to save a life

As we sat in the car all quiet for a couple of minutes, I thought about all the times I had forgotten to ask Jason how he was really doing. I guess I had depended on him a little too much to help with my own problems. And also I had taken him to be more of a Yuri's friend than mine for a long time until I realized how much I care about him. Clearing my throat, I stared at him. He looked a little pale.

"What's going on, Jason?" I asked slowly. He smiled slightly but showing a hint of sadness, how come I didn't notice he was not okay. Maybe because Jason Haynes never had to deal with a real problem before, I frowned at the thought.

"You want the entire story or should I summarize it?" He asked looking at me with another smirk.

"The whole story please." I replied folding my arms. He took a couple ore seconds to speak again.

"Okay, so I met Paige's father, you already know that much, right?" He gave me that smile again while I rolled my eyes gesturing him to continue. "Alright . . . Mr. Johnson told me that, wait let me say the exact words . . he said I was a worthless human being and that Paige deserves to be with someone who can take care of her"

I bit my lip so that I wouldn't curse at Paige's father. I stayed silent so Jason continued.

"There's a reason why he said what he said . . and it makes perfect sense" He shuddered.

"No, there should be no reason why he should say all those mean things." I muttered.

"Sasha, Paige is suicidal" He murmured quietly as I gasped into the air. I blinked a few times trying to piece together what Jason had just said. "It's true . . Mr. Johnson, he warned me about it and I saw the scars last night . . ."

"Oh god . . Jason . . What else did Mr. Johnson say?" I asked.

"There was this other guy before me, who just broke her apart. His betrayal left her with scars, Mr. Johnsons had to bring her to the hospital thrice. . she . . urr . .she lost a lot of blood the last time" He pursed his lips as if he was trying to shake away the image in his head.

"So he refused you to be with her?"

"Yeah . . It's more like forbad me from ever seeing her. But the next day she ran away from home and found me. I can't push her away, I don't even want to" he replied, to which I didn't know how to respond. I was stunned by the events that was taking place and by the lack of my knowledge on it. Pulling up the brakes, Jason stopped the car in front of an unfamiliar house. "We're here"

"Here? What do you mean? This isn't your house" I looked around the neighborhood and realized I don't even recognize it.

"We moved out to an apartment my dad owns, I figured if we were going to start fresh, we might as well do it at a new place, one where my mom wouldn't complain about me keeping my girlfriend hidden from her father" Jason explained with a huge sigh. I stared at the unfamiliar house again, it was small and very white.

"I gotta ask . . Are you staying with her because she's suicidal?" I asked candidly even though I knew the answer. Sometimes even I hate my bluntness.

"No, I . . I want to help her through it. I want to make her strong, and be able to love herself first. I don't ever want to let her go." Jason replied getting out the car. As we made it to his porch, I felt guilty for calling him and asking him to come over when he was in fact dealing with so much.

"Why did you rush over when I called you? You could've stayed in with her. How stupid are you to leave a suicidal girl alone to go meet your best friend's girlfriend?" I crossed my arms hoping he had a better answer for it. God forbid, if something happened to Paige while Jason was away assisting me, I could never forgive myself.