Chapter Twenty Eight

Perfectly Fine

“Happy Birthday to You, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to Yuri, Happy Birthday to you! Well Since you’re eighteen, you should know that you’re now old enough to know what’s right and what’s wrong, but young enough to still make mistakes and get away with it haha. Anyways I got you a present, it’s under the bed. I hope you like it. I guess this host and alter thing is working well for both of us. Anyways I hope you have a great day. If you see trouble, switch to me and I’ll handle it. Look at me, talking like a superhero haha”

I recorded the message, and stared at the small wrapped gift that lay on the floor. I picked it up and placed it under the bed. It was a bracelet I made for her. I wondered if I would ever have a birthday of my own. But my purpose is to put everything aside and keep apply all my focus on Yuri and be her shadow. After all, isn’t that what my existence is all about?

*BLANK*

“Should I be even doing this?” Yuri thought, making her way to a place, she had sworn she’d never go back to. But deep inside she knew she couldn’t just ignore it. She needed help, and she needed it now. What a day she had picked to walk into Nicholas Private Practice. It was indeed her 18th birthday, and as much as freedom she was about to conquer, she needed one freedom that was interfering with her life.

“Are you going to make me disappear?” Sasha’s voice echoed at the back of her mind nearly making her chuckle.

Of course not.

Yuri made her way inside and eventually found Dr.Nicholas just in time. The look on his face was expectable but then he flashed a smile of relief.

“I need your help Doctor” Yuri admitted.

“Please call me Nick. I am glad you finally decided to let me run actual tests” His reply was quick.

“I’m sorry but I am not here for any tests, I just need your professional advice on something” Yuri explained a bit more after taking a seat at his office.

“Advice?”

“Yes. I want to learn how to control the switches” Yuri spoke the words.

She had been dreading all morning just thinking about how to control the switches between her and Sasha. That was the freedom she needed, to be able to switch places comfortably instead of any unwanted interruptions. She knew it was impossible to do, she wanted to at least try.

“Alright Sasha, I think it’s best if I did some tests” Dr. Nick stated.

“Actually I am Yuri. . And I don’t need you testing on me like I am a lab rat. I just need you to help me with the switches. Now can you help or not?”

“Oh. Well I suppose I could teach you a few tips to help you control them. But I am not sure if it’ll work because Dissociative Identity Disorder is very tricky and in your case it is very rare for the alter to be so willing which might make this process easier” Dr. Nick’s words stressed Yuri.

“Okay when do we start?”

“Now” Nick smirked.

“I can’t do this, it’s not working” Yuri complained. Her patience was running out and Nick wasn’t making anything easier by letting her meditate.

“You are thinking too much, just close your eyes and let go of all the other nonsense”

“You make it sound so easy” Yuri murmured under her breath. How could she just forget about everything when her mind is filled with so much stress lately? It wasn’t easy, and it wouldn’t get any easier.