Chapter Twenty

A Good Way to Begin Again

Yuri opened her eyes to the world of light. It was just an ordinary day but to her it seemed like she had just woken up from a long nightmare. Her mind recalled her painful voice screaming, to let her go, there were times when she wished she had died instead.

Two Years Ago

“No please Anton, I don’t want to go there” Yuri pleaded for mercy. Tears flowed through her eyes ruining her mascara that those filthy girls applied on her forcefully. Anton grabbed her hair pulling her towards the dark cell in his basement. It had been a week since Yuri moved in with her ‘so called father’ who failed to keep her healthy, happy or stable. Yuri was mentally exhausted and physically abused by Anton. Whenever she neglected his orders, he would slap her across the face.

“Don’t call me Anton, I am your father” He gritted his teeth. There was no way she could escape him. Yuri lived a complete different life for one and a half weeks. The only reason Anton had wanted her in his custody was to train her into smuggling drugs among the country. His monstrous actions keep replaying in Yuri’s mind.

It took a while for Yuri’s mother to come there with local police, and her lawyer since she had no idea where Anton lived. Anton was sentenced to two years for his crimes. Lawyers suggested they move to a different city for their safety and precaution but Yuri refused. She had just started her life and already had eyes on Jason, a guy she was finally able to have. He was the only one who knew what she felt; maybe that’s why it broke her heart when he left her.

 The Yuri that got out of the filthy old house wasn’t the Yuri that came in. All the rage and anger that she built within those one and a half weeks were afflicted upon her mother. Anton had changed her into someone who blocked out other’s emotions. She never wanted to be so cold hearted but Anton had made her and for that she blamed her mother so much. But in her heart she always knew she only wanted an excuse for the person she has become.

 Yuri felt herself shiver as she snapped out from reliving her memory. She turned to the other side of the bed to see a yellow note stuck on the pillow that said,

“Hi :D”

Judging by the bubbly handwriting Yuri could guess it was Sasha who had written that. She picked it up and smiled a bit. Sasha was crazy, despite the fact that she could not physically be there for Yuri; she tried her best to be carefree for her during this tough time. Yuri walked into the bathroom to freshen up to see another yellow note stuck onto the bathroom mirror,

“Why so serious?”

Yuri laughed this time, as she removed the note. Not only this was helping her to forget the recent events but it was also making her smile out of spite. She took a quick bath, wrapping herself with the towel and tip toed to her cupboard. Her eyes ran through her clothes which were hung neatly. Her hands reached for another yellow note stuck on an unfamiliar dress that was hung. It read

“Beautiful dress to a beautiful girl”

“Oh Sasha” Yuri thought happily. This was a major sacrifice knowing Sasha. She would never wear anything that was above her knees. Yuri admired the black and white dress that Sasha had bought for her. So far this day was going good, and it was all because of Sasha. She walked downstairs to see her mother sitting near the breakfast table surrounded by papers.

“Mom, you look . . . exhausted” Terrible was the word she wanted to say but she didn’t want to be rude to her mother, not anymore.

“Oh Hi honey, I thought it would be best if I worked at home for a while. Don’t mind me though” Yuri’s mother buried her face in the papers. There was no danger now, since Anton was taken back to prison charged for harassment and trespassing. There was also a restraining order filed against Anton so if he ever came ten feet close to Yuri or her mother, he’ll be sent to prison for good.