Chapter Two

Part of me

   It was morning and I had woken up feeling the energy kicking in my body. But nothing felt normal because everything felt out of place.

“Yuri, get up, you’re going to be late for school” screamed that feminine voice again.

“I still don’t remember anything” I thought feeling anxious. Why couldn’t I remember anything? That question rotated in my mind throughout the rest of the puzzling day. Yes, my life was indeed now a puzzle that only I can solve, now if I could only find the pieces.

I gulped and walked into the bathroom. I got myself all cleaned up. I looked through my wardrobe and realized none of these outfits were close to anything I would wear. My eyes searched through and finally caught a glimpse of the perfect pair of jeans in the corner and a t-shirt that was tight enough to reveal my curvy body. I tied my long straight blonde hair. I felt great today for some reason but I knew I couldn’t take my memories for granted. I took a deep breath and opened the door and walked downstairs. I saw a woman who was doing dishes and quietly humming a song.

“Mom?” I assumed. I played with my hair and stared at her all confused because she wasnt responding back.

“Yes dear, although you haven’t called me that in a very long time” said a voice behind me. A blonde woman stood before me wearing a suit. She looked very young and very fit.

“Mom?” I said again very confused this time. I stared at her, while she took a good look at my outfit.

“Honey, I thought you were going to throw those tacky jeans away because your granny gave you those”

 I looked at my young mother, still unable to utter another word.

“Your words, not mine” She continued. “Now come on, have breakfast now or else you’ll miss your school bus” I was suddenly too stunned to move. I heard the doorbell ring. My ‘mother’ opened the door.

“Hi Mrs. Williams, I’m here to pick up Yuri” said the voice at the door.

“Of course Belle, come on in” She said and let a short girl, brunette with glasses in. She seemed to be happy to see me.

“Come on, let’s go” She held my hand.

“But I’ll miss my breakfast” I managed to say.

“Very funny, like you cared about food at all, you’re the most figure conscious girl I’ve ever met” She smiled.

“Yuri, are you okay? You seem awfully quiet” she finally says after ten minutes of silence. I tried to remember her name but I couldn’t. It seemed like my memories weren’t sticking after all.

“I – uh I’m fine just thinking about Jason” I stammered a bit.

 “Oh, I hope you move on from him quickly” She smiled again. The bus came and we sat together. She opened her bag while I had forgotten to bring mine, if I had one. She pulled out a book and gave it to me.

“What’s this?” I asked curiously.

“It’s your history book, I did your homework just like you asked me to” She smiled again.

“I err asked you to do my homework?” I stammered again but this time in shock.

She laughed “Yeah, you make me do all your homework, remember? Yuri, what is with you today?” I stared at her.

“How is it okay for you, that I make you do this?” I practically yelled. I was annoyed, and more annoyed because I didn’t know what was going. Why can’t I remember anything?

“Yuri, chill. You’re the most popular girl in school, if you’d asked me to jump off a window, I would if that’ll make me be your best friend” She stated.

This was ridiculous. This poor girl had no self-dignity. Why was it so important to be my friend?

“Why is it so important to be my friend?” I asked quietly.

“Because you are Yuri Williams” she remarked. I could see the hurt in her eyes as she said those words. I may not have any memories about my past but I knew I had to make amends for my current situation. And I wanted to start with her first.

“Hey, you’ll always be my best friend and that’s why I am going to start treating you better from today onwards” I patted on her back. I meant every word of it even though I had no idea what I was doing.

“I probably would have to start with her name first” I thought.

When we finally arrived to school, everything was different.

So far, all I knew was that I was Yuri Williams, who had lost all her memories. Everybody looked at me and called me “Yuri”. Everybody respected me. Everybody wanted to be me. But I wasn’t Yuri, I didn’t know why I felt that way. I wished I knew what was going on. I wanted to scream but no one can hear, I have these voices in my head that won’t leave my side. Voices that screamed the words,

“I am Yuri, let me out!”