Chapter Nineteen

Shield of Protection

Two Years Ago

Yuri rushed into the living room happily as she could ever be. It was her mother’s birthday and she wanted to do something special for her. She placed the tip of her fingers on the ribbon which was slightly crooked and secured it gently. Her eyes glimpsed upon everything that lay on the breakfast table, including the special cake from her mother’s favorite bakery and homemade scrambled eggs she had made that were now getting cold.

“Mom, breakfast’s getting cold, come on out” She called. She realized how stressed her mother was due to her job. In her line of work there was nothing that was called rest.

“Alright I am coming down Yuri, but I have to go in like . . . “Her voice trailed off as she saw the little surprise Yuri had laid out on the table.

“Happy Birthday Mom” Yuri sang quietly and hugged her. Their bond was strong as any mother and daughter shared. Yuri’s mother kissed her forehead and whispered “Thank you”

“Okay, first have your breakfast I made for you then we’ll cut the cake and open your present”

Yuri smiled as she said. It was a quiet and happy life they had, just the two of them. Yuri’s dad Peter Williams had passed away when she was five and that broke her mother’s heart. But Yuri got all the love that deserved from her mother Claire Williams.

Their small little life in the new city was going well. Yuri thoughts gazed off to the new high school she had just joined into, it had been a week but she found herself immensely crushing on Jason Haynes. Sure, he was the most popular boy in school and she had absolutely no way of ever going out with him but cant a girl just wonder? Yuri stared as she watched her mother complimenting on her tasty cooking skills. She waited until it was time to open the present. As her mother was opening the gift she asked. “What is it? It’s lighter than a feather”

“Open and take a look” Yuri replied kindly.

The look on her mother’s face was priceless when she opened the little wrapped box that contained a silver pendant.

“I saved my pocket money and got you this. It looked beautiful and I thought you should have it” Yuri concluded.

“Thank you Yuri, It’s beautiful.” She was teary as she placed the pendant around her neck.

There was a buzz on the door that interrupted their mother and daughter interaction. Yuri went to answer it. She opened the door to the tall middle aged looking stranger. They exchanged glances and she could tell he was bad news.

“Can – Can I help you?” she managed to ask.

“Hey there, My name is Anton Gerard, I am looking for a woman named Claire Lloyd” He spoke in a rather rough voice.

“Um mom, there is a man asking for you” Yuri turned her head towards her mother who stood near the table slicing pieces of the cake into square pieces and placing them on the plate. Yuri would never forget the look on her face when she saw the man standing near the door.

“What are you doing here?” She asked rudely keeping the plate on the table and taking Yuri’s hand.

“Yuri, could you go upstairs to your room for a moment?” Her voice has turned cold and her grip pressing against Yuri’s hand was massively strong. Yuri struggled to move when the stranger spoke “Are you afraid she might learn the truth, Claire?”

Yuri felt the room getting intense as she tried to stomach what was exactly going on. They were speaking so indirectly but it seemed like this man scared her mother. She didn’t obey her mother instead she stayed right next to her in case she needed protection.