36

"Twenty four do you copy?" James asked.

"Yes sir." You said.

"Any issues?"

"No sir." You layed down on your stomach looking through the scope trying to spot the target.

"Remember, only execute when I say execute." Will said. He was laying next to you with binoculars, looking for Aimee in the crowd.

"Not the first time I'm doing this. Don't have to remind me." You said trying to focus through the crowd.

"There, on your left." Will said.

You turned your rifle where he said and searched around before finding focus.

"Target locked in." You said into the radio.

"Execute on command." James said.

"Wait..." Will said. "Wait..." You held your breath. "Execute."

You pulled the trigger getting them right in the shoulder. "Missed. I repeat, I missed, initiate on-ground-executive." You said and got up grabbing your gun and your bulletproof vest.

"On-ground-executive initiated, great job twenty four." James said.

You quickly took the rifle apart, dropping it in a backpack. Dropped his binoculars in too, and looked back at the sky. "Choppers inbound!" He said. You looked up too seeing the police helicopters.

You quickly picked the bag up and followed Wilbur the stairway.

How did you miss? Why did you miss? It was a such a clear shot. A clear headshot, straight up.

What happened? What went wrong?

Maybe you couldn't bring yourself to? No way. There's no way you wanted to kill them already the day before. There's no way the motive wasn't there.

"Fuck!" You yelled punching the wall with the amount of force you had. 

That was quickly regretted, you took your, now bleeding, hand and started to shake it try to make the pain go away. "Fuck." You repeated.

"Are you okay?" Will asked.

"Do I look okay? I missed a clear shot and now my hand is bleeding." You said cleaning the blood off your knuckles with your sleeve.

You dropped your bag and put your vest on, fixing the straps and taking the safety off the Berretta.

"You did good, it's fine, they finished it. Heard it in the radio that you hit an artery." Will said.

"Not good enough." You said.

"Twenty four do you copy." A different voice, but familiar.

"Roger, who's this?" You asked.

"This is Sapnap." He said.

"Copy that."

"We need you on ground, second target approaching from north." He said.

"We're moving down. Meet in front of the building in five?"

"Copy that."

With that you grabbed your bag and the two of you started running down the stairs as fast as you could. For some reason the elevator only took you to the 8th floor in this complex.

Plus running is faster at this point.

You skipped the last flight of stairs, jumping down from the top of it, landing on one of your knees.

You sprinted out of the building making your way through the moving crowd trying to find Sapnap.

You quickly found him though, he wasn't hard to spot. "Glad to see you again!" He yelled over the yelling of the running people.

"Sorry I missed the shot." You said reloading your gun.

"It's fine. We got him anyway." He said.

"Red SUV coming from front. Second target is driving. Two armed guards are in it too. We take them out first. When I tell you, move to the right, shoot the window in so our backup snipers have a clear shot!" He said.

"Copy that Cap." You said readying yourself.

"Now! Go!" He yelled, you ran to the side aiming at the red car driving by, shooting in the drivers side windows. Snipers had a clear shot, killing the guards and the driver.

The car ran into a moving truck making it turn upside down. It also didn't take it long to catch in fire from the guns.

Doing all this in a crowd seemed kind of out of character.

A van pulled up next to you, Jack in the driver seat. "Get in!" He yelled. You ran to the back, opened up the van and jumped in.

Jack didn't even leave you enough time to close the doors, he floored the gas and you were off the scene.

Will, Nick and Niki were already in there, with others you didn't really recognise, treating wounds and whatnot.

"Great job." Nick said.

"Sap you copy?" James asked in Nick's radio.

"Yes sir." He said.

"Everyone in one piece?"

"Naturally." He smiled.

"Get to HQ. Treat who needs to be treated and get home."

"Copy that." Sapnap said and leaned his head back. He was bleeding from a couple wounds you didn't notice before, but looked fine otherwise.

Niki looked like she didn't even get scratched, Will was obviously not injured, and you weren't sure about yourself.

You looked down at your hand. Knuckles still bleeding. But you couldn't see anything special. Maybe a couple scratches.

"Missed a clear shot." One of the guys who were bleeding said.

"You got a problem with that?" You asked.

"No not really. But not surprised. You're just a rookie." He said.

"Alright that's enough." Niki said. "We all miss sometimes."

"Maybe should've chosen another department." He added quietly.

"Enough." Nick said. "I could fire you. Keep that in mind."

"He's right it was clean shot." You said leaning back trying to endure the pain of your bleeding knuckles. "But at least I hit them." You said wiping your hand again.

He looked away from you, hummed then closed his eyes. "You're right about that." He said.

With that you really didn't listen to what anyone else said, you were still focused on the why of your miss. You never miss.

You could make up excuses, like 'it's your first mission.' but that's no excuse to missing an important target.

Maybe the whole framing thing got to you.

You honestly don't remember why you moved the gun lower than supposed to.

What if he really was framed, and he didn't actually kill anyone on the list. Were you the bad guy for shooting them?

Did he lie about being framed? Was he just simply trying to gaslight you to think that they were innocent.

Nevermind. You're just overthinking it.

You are.

Are you?