53

Maybe in a blink of an eye, so many minutes passed.

"He's been in there for two hours." You said as you looked up on the clock.

Everything went numb. You were clueless.

The surgery didn't look too promising, he started hemorrhaging a couple times but they managed to get him back.

All of you stayed in that room. Just watching him being worked on.

You questioned everything that was being done on him.

"He's my best friend." Wilbur said.

"Mine too mate." Mark said.

Through these couple hours you saw how much Ash meant to all of you. You became friends with him as well, he's a great man.

He helped you through that first little mistake when you couldn't shoot Aimee. And he asked you out of anyone to lead his team, to continue his legacy. To finish what he started.

And if he won't come out of the operating room, you'll continue that legacy, find the man who did this to him, and rip all his nails out, one by one.

The surgeons did their damn best. And they were failing.

What?

They were failing?

"He's hemorrhaging!" The surgeon said.

"He lost too much blood doc." One of the assistants said.

You got off from the ground and walked over to the glass.

His heartbeat fell, so did his pulse.

"No." You whispered.

"Well get him blood! Ten more pints. C'mon!" He said. "We can't lose him!"

"We can't do that." The assistant said.

His line went flat. The machine went into that annoying long beep. "No..." this can't be happening. He can't die. He can't be dead. This isn't happening, is it?

"God fucking damnit." The surgeon slammed his scalpel on the table. "Time of death?" He asked.

"3:48 AM." The assistant said.

Wilbur walked out of the watch room.

You stood there at the glass. Looking at Ash's dead body. He didn't look like himself anymore. He was pale.

"He's gone." Jack said. "Man, fuck this." He left the room as well. Andy walked over to you and squeezed your shoulder, then walked out too.

They unhooked him from the machines. The beeping stopped. The surgeon looked at him for a second before leaving too. He looked so full of rage, and sadness. You didn't know who this was, but he might've known Ash, that's why he refused to let him die.

The assistant started stitching him up.

You took a deep breath. It was like they punched you in the face with a boulder.

You walked out of the room, biting the inside of your mouth.

He was actually gone. He died. He's dead.

And you're supposed to take his place.

"Y/n?" Clay walked over. "Are you okay?" He asked putting a hand on your shoulder.

"Don't touch me." You said slapping his hand away.

"Sorry." He said. "I'm gonna go. Call me if you need something." He turned around and walked away.

You stood there in the middle of the hallway. Seconds away from a mental breakdown. You walked over to the wall in front of you, and sat down leaning on it.

Control yourself. Don't cry.

A tear rolled down your face.

Emotions suddenly took over you. You broke out into a screaming and crying fit in the middle of a hallway.

There it is.

Watching someone you were friends with, in this case, never gets easy. You lost many people before but this was still somehow different.

He helped you, he saw your potential. He knew how you felt, and managed to make you believe in yourself.

But he's gone.

That person, who lead this team into victory so many times, was dead. And one day they will forget who he is.

All his hard work, will be thrown into the trash.

You wiped your eyes, trying to get a hold of yourself.

You slowly got up, and dusted yourself off.

You started walking to the elevator, pressing the call button.

141 was your responsibility now. They needed you.

They were in your team's meeting room.

You walked into the elevator and pressed the button below, luckily you were only going a floor down.

The doors closed and the elevator went down a floor.

The doors opened again. You walked down the hallway, passing the meeting rooms.

You remember the first meeting you ever had here. Ash was walking you down the hallway, telling you which room was which unit's room, and explaining the whole structure of this agency.

You remember every meeting you were late to. Ash never scolded you, he laughed it off. You also couldn't forget every mission report you fell asleep over, that Ash ended up finishing.

He was there for you. But when he could've needed you the most, you weren't there.

That made you feel shitty about this whole thing. You wanted to prove Wilbur wrong, that you can in fact follow his orders and stay home. But maybe you should've disobeyed just this since.

You stopped in front of the door.

You stood there for a little bit, putting together your thoughts.

You opened the door and you slowly walked into the meeting room. All of 141 was there. They were crying, sitting at the table thinking or trying their best to keep it together.

"What do we do..." Niki started. "What do we do now?"

You eyed out Ash's chair at the head of the table.

All the emotions you felt before turned into pure rage again. This was exactly the opposite of what you wanted.

You walked over to Ash's spot, pulled the chair out and looked at it for a second. The team looked at you for guidance now. You were their leader. Their captain.

As their captain you needed to avenge Ash.

You slowly lowered yourself into the chair and got comfortable.

Whoever shot through Ash twice, hit an artery once, and made him bleed out on an operating table, will be accounted for.

You'll have his head on a platter by Easter.

"Cap?" Jack asked. "What now?" Everyone looked at you.

You sniffled. Shrugged.

"The show must go on."