38

"Hi," you walked up to the front desk. "I'm searching for Nate Matthews. Which room is he in?" You asked.

"Give me a second." The lady said. She had a strong Irish accent. She typed something on her computer and looked at the screen for a little bit. "Room 234." She said.

"Thank you." You said. Familiar number, quite a funny coincidence.

You walked down the long hallway glancing between the two sides, looking at the numbers on the doors.

Why did you have to tell him the news. You barely even processed it. How will he take the fact that he has to work in a team with you? If he takes it badly do you just have to live with that fact?

So many questions popped up in your head, and you couldn't seem to answer them yourself.

You liked where this was going, but you missed Egypt, and robbing graves. You were on duty tomorrow, then you can leave.

Only one day. Only one small mission.

And then you can go back to taking stuff from wrapped skeletons, breaking into museums and memorials.

You missed that even if you only left it a couple days ago.

You glanced between the doors a couple more times before finding Nate's room.

You knocked on the door and opened it. "Good morning sunshine." You said sarcastically. Nate was laying down, watching something in the TV. Machines were beeping, he had a nice amount of flowers to the side of him, and even though he had 4 broken ribs and probably internal bleeding, he watched his show, undisturbed of any pain.

"What do you want?" He asked. Cold, quite monotone voice. He didn't look at you, just kept watching the show that was going, not one but bothering to look your way.

"James wanted me to deliver a message." You said.

"What type of message?"

"He made a task force. You're in it." You said sitting down.

"The catch?"

"I'm also in it. He calls it Task force 141."

"Is that a reference?" Nate asked finally looking at you.

"Yes. Point is, you'll have to breathe the same oxygen as me, for missions." You said.

Nate was silent for a minute. You could actually take a look at what he looked like. Dirty blonde hair, green eyes, older looking, maybe over 30. According to Wilbur he was an amazing close combat agent and sniper. He was also a former spy in America.

He joined with his boyfriend a little after James got the agency from his parents.

At least that's what Will said.

"Listen, what I said in the van," He started. "I didn't entirely meant seriously." He said. "I was just taking a piss out of you. Sorry if it affected you in any way." He added.

"Oh, it's okay." You said.

Not really okay. You started overthinking it, and that spiraled into not sleeping, and then drinking way too much coffee after you got back, meaning you had so much caffeine in your system, it could kill a horse.

"Doesn't mean we're friends. I still think you're a rookie and in need of improvement." He said and looked back at the TV.

"Fair enough." You said. "I'll go now. You have fun recovering your broken ribs." You added standing up.

"Thanks." He said sarcastically.

Maybe he isn't that bad.

You turned around and simply walked out, closing the door behind your quietly.

You looked around the hallway for a second, then started walking from where you came.

You pulled out your phone checking the time.

16:45.

Still have time to ask Niki to change your bandaids.

You weren't sure if Will had those stuff at home, so it's easier and safer to do it here.

You slipped your phone back into your pocket kept walking down the long hallway.

People were rushing all around you, pushing beds, patients, getting paged left and right, you didn't even hear that someone catched up to you.

"Hey, what are you doing down here?" Clay asked.

You looked at him confused as well. "Might as well ask the same for you." You said.

"I got shot in the shoulder. First mission wasn't that great." He said pointing to his shoulder.

"Mine either. Missed a clear shot." You said and looked down, watching the ground instead of looking at Clay.

"Why are you down here though?" Clay asked.

"Oh. Yeah, you know Nate Matthews?" You asked.

"Of course, he's Unit 69's leader. I'm in that unit part time." Clay said surprised. "Why, what happened to him?"

"He broke four ribs, so I came to tell him that James made a stupid task force, and named it after a reference." You said.

Clay stayed silent, you weren't sure if he was trying to process what you said or, he just didn't have a good answer to the situation.

"Damn." He said. "Wait what reference?"

"You know what? I won't tell you." You said. "I'll see you tomorrow." You said and walked off.

You didn't want to talk to anyone else today, other than Niki. You were pretty sure she was usually down here when she didn't have missions, she had medical training that's for sure.

You walked up to front desk, there was no one there so you stood there for a second, looking around at the running people, the janitor who was calmly mopping the floor knowing damn well, the doctors are going to walk over it.

"Can I help you?" A man asked. You quickly turned around to face him. It was Andrew. Or whatever his name was. All you knew that he was in 141 and he was Nate's husband.

"Yes. Is Nikita in the back?" You asked.

"Oh yeah! Let me call her." He said and went to turn around. "Wait. Can I get your name?" 

"Y/N L/N." You said. Andrew nodded and walked into the offices.

You leaned on the front desk, focusing your attention to the pile of papers behind it, and the amount of files they had to deal with on the daily.

With the amount of people in the agency, you weren't surprised, this one gang could make up a whole city by itself.

You glanced to your right, instantly seeing something to make you distracted.

It was Nate's doctor's notes.

You slid the spreadsheet to you and started reading through it.

Shocking. Nate was only 25. It listed obvious things like height and weight, basic diagnosis...

4 broken ribs.

And six gunshot wounds? Two stabbing wounds, a broken finger? How did he even survive all of this?

How did that even happen? Didn't he just shoot Aimee and got injured one of Aimee's team members trying to protect her?

You didn't read the mission report through thoroughly. Something was missing-

"Sorry for the wait. I'm here!" You quickly put the notes down, focusing to Niki. "What's the problem?"

"I want to get my bandages changed."