37

You looked through your mission report.

It wasn't anything special, for starters they confirmed the death of Aimee. Then they listed the people in the mission:

Y/N L/N, Nick Armstrong, Nikita Nihachu, Jack Manifold, Ash Kabosu, Joe Goldsmith, Nate Matthew, Andrew Kamsky, Mark Boardman, William Gold.

It was nice working with them. A great team to be perfectly honest.

Next was the list of witnesses, and a checklist to delete any footage of this mission. It certainly wasn't a smart move to do all this in public. But the footage was deleted from every device possible, the scene was cleaned as soon as it happened. No one will believe them.

Quite efficient.

The second target was also confirmed dead, some guy you didn't bother to read the name of. 

As you put down the file you heard your name being called with the others, to James's office.

You fixed yourself and headed for the stairs that lead to the elevator.

For some reason the file room was on the lowest level of this bunker, so you had to take the elevator down if you wanted to go there.

The hospital was one above it, so you would be traveling with half dead people most times.

You ran up the stairs and pressed the call button.

It didn't take the elevator to get down, it was probably at the hospital level.

You got in and pressed the floor level button.

Quiet elevator music started playing, you faintly hummed to it trying to get your mind off the mission.

You couldn't sleep in the jet either, all you could think about is your complete fail to get a clean shot.

It was so easy yet you still managed to miss. Sure they finished it, and Aimee was confirmed dead, but the thought that you could've done better by all means, was still there.

And that conversation with Nate, or what his name was, he could be right. Maybe you should've chosen a different mission, or department. But you couldn't let that get to you, could you now.

The elevator got up to the top floor, you got out as fast as you could walking down the hallway towards James's office.

People were already going in, you recognised almost all of them, but your face recognition was not quite the best.

You joined the line and as the last one, you closed the door behind you. You moved to wall in the back, and leaned on it, keeping yourself behind the small crowd.

"Thank you lovelies for showing up. Except Nate. He broke four ribs." James started. "But let's jump in. Everyone who isn't new to the team, for you it's another successful mission. For our new teammate, you did a great job." He said gesturing to you.

A couple people looked at you, you smiled awkwardly.

"Also where did you come up with on-ground-executive? Very creative." James said. "We just called them Groundies." James moved on swiftly talking about how amazing that execution was, and how cool you were for taking charge in your first mission.

"Point is. I really do think this is a good team. " James said. "So, me, Jack and Will decided to make this a task force." He said. 

All of you started whispering to eachother. You tried to make a sense of this, when you joined you thought you wouldn't have to work in a team, since everyone knows how the last one ended.

But maybe this will be nice. It's a good team, talented for sure.

"Task force 141." He said. "Reference? Anyone? No? Okay."

People started talking now, you couldn't make out what exactly, but it was probably very important, since they were talking over James.

You didn't hear anything he said after, you only saw that he stopped talking, waiting for the noise to calm.

"As I was saying, this team will be the first one after the one two years ago, for the information of newer people, it failed." James took out a paper. "The members will be the following:" he started. "Y/N L/N, Nick Armstrong, Nikita Nihachu, Jack Manifold, Ash Kabosu, Joe Goldsmith, Nate Matthew, Andrew Kamsky and Mark Boardman. Wilbur won't be a part of this, because of what happened last time in Disneyland." James put the paper down.

"Any questions?" Everyone stood there silently. "Good! I wouldn't be able to answer them. You can all leave. Get a good rest, you'll be on duty tomorrow!"

The small crowd started moving out of the office, you stayed in the back, wanting to leave the room last.

You just wanted to get home, change the bandaids on your hand and sleep for what's left of the day.

"Y/N!" James yelled after you. You turned back and looked at him.

"Yes?"

"Could you tell Nate the situation?" He asked.

Why you? "Of course."

"Thanks, you can ask which room he's in at the hospital's front desk." James said and turned back to his papers.

You finally walked out, turning left, aka not the direction of Wilbur's apartment.

You didn't have the motivation to clean yours, you were already too tired to walk a flight of stairs, you were simply incapable to clean an apartment that looked like someone took a big dump in it and forgot to clean it.

You walked down the hallway and pressed the call button.

Just like last time, it didn't take it long to get up. You walked in and pressed the button with the H on it.

The doors closed and the elevator music started playing.

When you talked to Nate a day before, you didn't find him pleasant. Especially since he wasn't pleasant at all. He called you rookie, and basically made fun of you.

If you didn't miss that stupid clean shot, this wouldn't be happening at all. If you moved that gun a couple millimetres up, you would've gotten that shot, and would've been done without all the hustle with the crowd and making people finish it instead of you.

This was your mission and you messed it up.

You hummed with the faint elevator music, trying to get your mind off of it.

It was just a couple millimetres.