65

You couldn't possibly count on your two hands how many times you wanted to back out from this mission.

Every single time you needed to realize that your friend needed help, and he wasn't going to help himself.

You weren't so fond of working with William, but like he said, you needed to work around your differences to save Nick.

The plane ride was painfully long and silent. Basically no one said a word, only Maxwell made comments about the view.

They apparently set up base not so far of the pyramids, just out of sight of Asher's dogs.

The helicopter landed, making a whole swirl of sand, that would've most likely get blown into your face if you didn't wait for the rotor blades to stop spinning.

As soon as they did, Will opened the door and you jumped first, landing into the sand. The view was familiar and nostalgic. A whole wasteland of sand, with close to no civilization available.

Will jumped out after you, then so did Maxwell.

They made a pretty cool base for themselves, nothing you haven't seen before, bunch of people running around with papers, tents set up like a little town, just like an anthill.

It felt like the first time you woke up from James's sleeping dart, seeing all the archeologists running around.

Except you were getting a man out of a pyramid.

"That tent on the left is ours." Will said pointing to one.

You headed into the tent.

Niki, Jack, Joe, Andrew, Tommy and Toby were leaning over a table, looking at the outlay of the pyramid. Mark wasn't there, but they probably pulled him because of his injuries.

You were surprised to see Tommy and Toby there, they were usually head of technical stuff, like translating and fixing guns and all.

"Any ideas guys?" Will asked dropping his rifle. As they turned around, all of them spotted you, and their face quickly changed from an expressionless look to smiling. "Y/n!" Yelled Toby.

"It's good to see you back." Jack said walking over and hugging you. You hugged back and walked to the table with him.

"We thought Will was lying when he said, he's going to get you to come here." Niki said.

"Yeah he didn't look all that convincing." Toby said.

"Well he did, so I'm here, what's the plan?" You asked leaning on the table.

They all looked at eachother.

"What?" You asked confused.

"We don't really have one..." Jack said.

"You're telling me you've been here for two whole days and you haven't figured out a single plan, not even an outline?" You asked.

"That's about right." Joe said.

"Seriously?" You asked. "We're going in in one and a half hours and y'all have nothing?" You asked.

"Well we fell out of routine. You know you kept stuff going, did the plans, told us and we followed it." Andy said.

"Isn't part of your training to know how to make plans?" You asked.

"Yeah but we rarely need it." Joe said.

"Okay..." You said. "Since the chopper ride was boring and quiet, I came up with a plan just in case."

You pointed at the entrance of the pyramid. "That's the only entrance and exit. It's easier going down, you basically have to climb to come back up, so make sure not to get too injured. We go down all the way," you said sliding your finger to the next part of the blueprint, that showed the lowest level of the pyramid. "Then we'll split into pairs and move in different directions. Halfway through the halls, we'll completely fan out." You said.

"That is where Nick is being held." You pointed to a room. You remember the blueprint of this pyramid, you basically have it engraved into your brain, and you remember where you detected that other room a little while ago. Most likely Asher Simone was holding him in there. No clue what his plan is with Nick, but Asher definitely wanted whatever is inside the other room.

"All of the hallways lead a different way if you take lefts. But it you remember to take rights every single time you come up to an intersection, they lead up to that room. Whomever gets there first, do not kill Asher. We need him alive, he's kind of a terrorist, and I would not like to bring his dead body to the feds." You said. "If you get lost, injured, disoriented, you call dispatch, they'll navigate you out of the pyramid to get medical help. But I'm hoping that won't happen." You said.

"And the pairs?" Andrew asked.

"Right." You looked around the tent to pair them up in your head. "Toby and Joe, Niki and Jack, Tommy and myself, and we'll get a plus one for Andy." You said.

"What about me?" Will asked.

"You're staying behind." You said.

"No? I'm going in with you, you need all hands on deck." He said.

"You said we needed to work around our differences and work together, inside the pyramid we're doing it my way. When we open the next room, we'll do it your way." You said. "Plus you're severely concussed. Wouldn't want you working like that."

"Why's he concussed?" Tommy asked.

"I hit him in the head with a pry bar." You said.

"Deserved." Joe said.

"I think we should get ready. We're on in an hour." Jack said looking at his clock.

"Yep." You said. "I'll go and get my gear back. See you guys back here in an hour." You said, turned around and walked out of the tent, back into the hot desert.

You didn't even get halfway to the weaponry when you heard Wilbur yelling after you. "Y/n! Wait up!" He said.

You stopped, took a big breath and looked at him.

"Is this about me firing you?"

"What?" You asked.

"You wanting me to stay behind." He said.

"No. And even if it was about you firing me, I think it's reasonable to want you to stay behind." You crossed your arms.

"If it's about me just tell me." Will said.

"Not everything is about you William." You said. "You are not the main character in this story, I am." You pointed to yourself. "You need a reality check Will, the world doesn't revolve around you."

"What story? This isn't a story."

"I'm sure you think it is. And I'm also sure you think you're god, controlling everything. But let me tell you something, you're not god, and you're definitely not controlling this." You said.

"Why are you making assumptions, you can't even back them up."

"Isn't that what you did?" You asked. "Will you are so full of yourself, I don't think your ego handled the beating it took when I broke up with you."

"I apologized-"

"It was a pretty shitty apology." You said. "I wish you could see that I'm a person too, William. That you're not the only person in this universe with emotions. Our story would've had a different outcome if you could just see that."

Wilbur was silent.

"You changed the plot. You changed the story. But you are still not the writer. You are not the author of my life. You just think you are." You said. "In an hour time I'm going in that pyramid and saving our friend. Because this," you pointed at the tents. "Is about him. Not me or you." You said. "So man up. And stop being childish." You said and started to walk away.

"It's not a good look!" You added.