Chapter 17

I wake up late today and scan the room to see no-one is here. I lay here for a while just chilling before getting up to go start my day. I walk to the beach to find it quite empty.

'Where is everyone?' I thought to myself.  I continue walking along the beach until I find Tsireya, Aonung and Kiri sitting under some palm trees. I come and sit with them and they all say hello. 

"Y/n we were thinking maybe we should show everyone the spirit tree today? Eclipse is today and you know how beautiful it is at that time of the month" Tsireya says.

I agree and say "Sounds great, when shall we go? Eclipse will be coming soon so if we are going we would have to go within the next hour."

"Lets tell everyone now then" She replies and we all go off to find the rest of the group. 

I make my way to the Sully's hut but it is empty. I walk to the bridge and nothing again. I walk along the beach and see Neteyam sitting in our spot. I run to him and tackle him onto the floor, i'm lying on top of him. He gasps then starts to laugh.

He looks at me and I look at him. He pushes a few stray strands of hair out of my face and tucks them behind my ear. I clear my throat and get off of him. I sit down next to him and he lifts back up off the floor so he is sitting too. 

"We are going somewhere special today, you want to come?" I ask him. 

He's silent for a second and then says "I don't know y/n, i'm not really feeling up to doing anything today" 

I throw my arms round his neck and pout, "Pleaseeee for me" I beg.

He laughs and sighs. 

"Whats wrong Neteyam? You seemed off yesterday and today you seem sad too?" I question.

"I'm fine, its nothing" he says and pulls a fake smile. 

"Come on, I know you! Theres' something wrong" I add.

He thinks for a minute then finally says "What were you doing with Lo'ak yesterday?"

I look at him puzzled. Then I say to him "Yesterday? I wasn't really with Lo'ak much other than when we were all together and the morning swim."

I wasn't going to let out Lo'ak's secret about Payakan or his secret lesson he wanted. 

"I saw you go back into the water after we all left y/n.... and why were you on a morning walk together anyway?" he replies.

"Neteyam why does it matter?" I ask firmly.

"It doesn't I guess..." he says quietly and starts to get up. I pull him back down and look into his eyes.

"Neteyam, he needed to talk so I was there for him that is why we were on a morning swim and as for going back out to the water that is up to Lo'ak to tell you. Not me" I say to him.

"But I thought you guys weren't talking after the other week?" he replies.

Shit, I forgot to tell him about mine and Lo'aks conversation. It happened after ours. He still thinks Lo'ak kissed me because he's interested in me.

I begin to laugh and he tilts his head in confusion. "Me and Lo'ak spoke not long after we did in the cave. He apologise and explained that he was just emotional and I was there for him and it happened in the moment. We are best friends Neteyam, he's like another brother to me. The kiss, if anything, confirmed to him that we are better off as friends."

Netayam's body reacts as if a huge weight has been lifted from him. He smiles and hugs me. "Im sorry for questioning you, I was just worried."

"It's fine Neteyam, now let's find the others!" I say excitedly as I start to skip along the beach, he smiles and shakes his head of braids before running after me. 

----------

Once we have found everyone we all head to the bridge and call for our ilu's, we decide to ride in pairs. I'm with Neteyam, Kiri is with Tuk, Aonung and Rotxo, then Tsireya and Lo'ak. We make our way to the spirit tree following Aonung. Neteyam grabs my thigh and I wrap my arms round his waist as we begin to move. 

We get near the spirit tree and the eclipse is near.  Tsireya turns round and says "This is our spirit tree, our way to connect to eywa. The best time to come is during eclipse" as the sky turn dark. Everyone looks round in awe. Even those of us that have lived here our whole life. It never gets old. I slide off Neteyam's ilu and he follows me. We all begin to swim down towards the spirit tree. It glows radiating shades of pinks, purples and blues. I look at Neteyam once we get to the tree and pull my braid round and he copies along with the rest of the group. We all connect our Tsaheylu to the tree and close our eyes. 

I'm walking into a hut that's not mine. Theres a pair of mates packing their stuff. The woman turns round to reveal a pregnant belly. Suddenly shots are heard in the air and they hurry up with their packing. The woman waters break and she groans in pain. She's having her baby and the clan Tsahik is shouted for, they walk in to deliver the baby. 

An explosion goes off in the hut next to them and they look scared. The mother wraps the baby and places it into a basket and runs to an ilu nearby. She places the basket on the ilu's back and whispers to it. The ilu rides away and then... *bang* 

She gets shot. There is a group of sky People coming in big armoured suits. They set fire to the hut containing the father and tsahik. I follow the ilu to see where it is going and end up at my clan. The ilu shakes the basket gently into the water and creates waves with its tail to push the basket to the shore. 

My mother and father walk out of their hut and find the baby on the shore and take it in. 

Is.. is..is that me? 

Everything goes blurry and then black.