Chapter 39

I wake up feeling a little down today for some reason. Its super early so I sneak out the hut and have a walk along the beach to clear my mind. The sun is rising and looks beautiful, I sit down on a rock nearby and watch it rise, the sky is dancing with bright colours, orange, yellow, pink and even hints of blue coming through.

"Morning sister" I hear behind me.

I turn and reply "Morning Aonung" smiling weakly.

He sits next to me and says "Whats wrong? You seem down"

I just shrug in response so he stretches his arm round my shoulders and pulls me in for a hug.

"Its almost here again Aonung" I sign.

"I know" he replies.

"Ive always got you, I hope you know that little sis" he adds.

"I know" I say sadly.

"They would be very proud of you" he says.

I sign "Almost 20 years Aonung, 2 more days and its been 20 years"

He pulls me in tighter and then smiles.

"I know what would cheer you up" he says.

I look up at him confused.

"Lets go to the spirit tree, you can see them, then we will have a fun day of activities together, all of us, to keep you occupied" he suggests.

I smile and hug him tight "You're the best Aonung, that sounds perfect"

We both call out ilus and ride to the spirit tree.

We get there and connect our tsaheylus, I open my eyes and I am back on my home island, I run to the hut but it is empty. Where are they?

I walk out the hut disappointed and then...

"Y/n?" I hear behind me.

I turn and it's them. I run to them and hug them.

"What are you doing back so soon?" mother asks.

"Aonung my brother suggested we come, I was a bit upset earlier... its been almost 20 years since well.... you know" I say.

"Oh sweetheart, you don't need to be upset, we are always here" she says and places a hand to my chest.

"I know, its just not the same" I reply sadly.

"I know my daughter, but Ronal and Tonowari have done such a good job bringing you up, you are everything and more we expected and wanted for you" father says.

I smile and hug them again.

"I will do you proud" I say.

"Already have" mother says.

I shut my eyes and open them to back up to see water. I back. I swim to the surface and Aonung is waiting for me.

"Well?" he asks.

I swim to him and hug him "Thank you"

He hugs me back then we climb back onto our ilus to ride home.

We get back and we see everyone sitting on the sand talking. We join them and Neteyam smiles at me and pats the sand next to him. I sit down and he puts an arm round my shoulders and kisses my temple. I blush.

"Where have you guys been?" Kiri asks.

Aonung looks at me and I smile, "I was a little upset this morning" Neteyam tenses up. I put my hand on his hand on my shoulder and he relaxes.