Chapter 18

*Neteyam POV*

I connect my tsaheylu to the tree and close my eyes. 

I'm walking along the metkayinan beach and look around. Why does the village look different? I continue to walk along the beach and can see some figures in the distance, I continue my way towards them and they get clearer the closer I get. Then I am pulled out of my trance and i'm back in the water. I look round to see Y/n shaking and rigid. I disconnect from eywa and swim fast to y/n.

I shake everyone I swim past to get to her to pull them out their visions and disconnect y/n's tsaheylu from the tree. 

I swim to the surface of the water with her and everyone else appears shortly after. 

"What is wrong Neteyam? What is wrong with y/n?" Tsireya asks in a panic. 

Tuk starts to cry and everyone else doesn't know what to do . 

"She is having a seizure" I say as it stops. I check to see if she is breathing and she isn't. I pull myself up onto my ilu and drag y/n up with me. I lay her on my lap and I pinch her nose before breathing into her mouth. I repeat this until her chest starts to move on its own. 

"We need to get her to Tsahik now!" they all nod and follow me back to the village. 

We get to the village and am met by an alarmed looking Tonowari and Ronal. 

"She had a seizure! Please do something" I beg them and Tonowari takes t/n and runs to their hut. I follow them and am stopped at the entrance by my father. 

"Please be okay" is all I can repeat to myself pacing back and forwards. 

Father calls his sky people friends and they are here within half hour on their flying machine. Norm exits and runs into the hut. He attaches a load of wires and machines to y/n and start to take notes from the machine. 

After what feels like forever norm finally comes out to the group of us who have been waiting for news. 

"I can see evidence of a head trauma that most likely caused the seizure" he starts.

Head trauma? But she has been fine and i've not seen anything happen to her. 

"Does anyone know what may have caused it?" norm asks.

Everyone is silent and then Lo'ak speaks up. 

"She concussed herself on a rock a few weeks ago in the water" he says.

Norm goes back into the hut and I look at Lo'ak with a frown. 

"Did this concussion happen to happen on your morning swims?" I ask angrily. 

Lo'ak looks hurt that I would suggest such a thing. But he doesn't answer. 

Norm exits the hut and says there is nothing he can do, she needs to pull herself out of this. Ronal barges thought the group and screams at them to take their alien technology and leave. They all gather their stuff quickly and Tsireya appears with a basket of traditional healing tools. Ronal starts to work on y/n and after a while y/n gasps and opens her eyes. I almost lost her. 

*Y/N POV*

I open my eyes to see my mother and Tsireya hovering above me. I let out a loud cry as my mother grabs and hugs me tightly. 

After a while I calm down and my mother ask if I am happy to accept visitors which I nod. 

Lo'ak comes running in and hugs me tightly, "You scared me bro! Don't ever do that to me again" he half jokes and half acts serious. I weakly laugh and he holds my hand. We talk for a while then everyone else comes to see how I am. Except Neteyam. I don't know where he is. 

Once everyone has seen me they all leave me alone to rest. 

Norm told my father that my tests came back clear after Ronal treated me and I should make a full recovery but also explains how lucky I am to be alive. 

I spend the next few days in the hut recovering. I was exhausted. 

Over this past week the girls have regularly visited me and made me feel better. They have done my hair, gave me awful singing concerts and kept me busy. Lo'ak has visited me every day too, telling me jokes and funny stories.

I can't say the same for Neteyam. He hasn't visited me once yet. Did I do something to upset him?

*Neteyam POV*

Once I found out she was going to be okay I was so happy. Ronal comes from the hut and says "She is happy to see you all now" and Lo'ak runs into the hut first. Everyone goes in one by one and i'm next to see her. 'I can't do this' I think to myself before running towards the beach. 

I couldn't see her like that again. I almost lost her and I don't want to feel a pain like that again. Can I let these feelings continue to develop if they're going to hurt me in the long run?

I've barely ate, i've barely slept. The only time i've left the hut is to sit on the beach in mine and y/n's spot alone. I want to see her so bad but I can't. I should have noticed something was wrong with her and instead I was too busy being jealous of my brother and her. 

A couple days have passed and I still haven't seen y/n. I decide to go for a swim today and clear my thoughts. I swim for a while and decide to go to the spirit tree. There's nothing a visit to eywa can't fix. I call my ilu and make my way to the tree.

I get to the tree and swim down to the seabed. I connect my tsaheylu and close my eyes. I'm back on the same beach. I can see the same figures in the distance. I jog towards them and see a father and son fishing in a small rock pool, the fathers back to me and the son front facing me. The son looks different. His skin is a mix of dark blue and light green, teal? He has bright yellow eyes and long black braids. "Jetayam!" I hear a voice call. Was that?.... 

I'm bought out of the vision and i'm back in the water. 'That was weird' I thought to myself. I swim to the surface. Just behind the spirit tree is a small beach. It is covered in small brightly coloured shells and glittering sand. I sit down and watch the spirit tree branches wave at me in the water. What shall I do eywa?